Ford Mustang Forum banner

Do Not Buy Plasmaglow Bulbs

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  JeffOden 
G
#1 ·
My wife's '11 stang has the standard halogen headlights, so I was looking to upgrade the H13 bulbs. In the past I've tried Sylvania Silverstar Ultras, they are brighter, but they only last about 1 year. Autoanything had what looked like a sweet deal on Plasmaglows, they have a "10 year warranty", that seemed way better than 1 year sylvanias. They are only about %10 brighter than stock, and a bit whitter also. However the first set lasted 3 1/2 months, I called them quite upset because 10 year warranty was a huge selling point for me. But I still had to pay shipping to them and return postage. Then the replacement set lasted less than 4 weeks, didn't have to pay return shipping on those because they lasted less than a month, but still out $5 postage to get it there. Now this 3rd set lasted about 4 months, both highbeams are burnt out, and I'm done with them. 30 years worth of warranty, and about 8 months of a$$ pain.
Sorry for the long read, wanted to vent, and hopefully prevent any of y'all from buying Plasmaglow.

#2 ·
try luminics if you can find some, i havnt had issues with mine and i have had them for over a year. Also have their fog light bulbs and those work find as well!

G
#3 ·
Thanks Derfdog, I looked at the luminics titanium white H13s, but they were $70+ bucks and had a 3 star average review. Way better than the 1 star I'd give plasmaglow, but they were about $30.

#4 ·
dang bulbs are expensive for the new stangs, i paid 30 for my headlights and 30 for my fogs.

Honestly though i wouldnt really feel too bad about going with some silverstars they are really nice. Also if you check with local autoparts you can get some ideas...

I REALLY love my luminics though!

#5 ·
Not sure I buy the assertion that Silverstar Ultras only last a year. We put a pair in a Taurus 6 or 7 years ago and they're fine.
Maybe you accidentally touched it and got finger oil on the bulb? Heck, from what I know, the 1999 Cougar I sold to a friend back in 2003 still has the same set I installed back then. He doesn't drive it much, but I'm pretty sure he never changed a bulb. He probably never changed the oil :winks

G
#6 ·
Haha, No.
Aircraft Mechanic for 24+ years, changed many a landing light bulb which are much more powerful than any headlamp. Also if you get the oil from your fingers on the bulb it burns up the bulb, on these it is always the filament(usually the highbeam) that burns out over time. I've probably purchase 6 or 7 sets of Silverstar Ultras over the years for my vehicles, the longest life so far has been 16 months. A little over 12 months on average.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.