Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have been looking at the newest Summit Racing book for parts to customize and increase the performance of a mustang. I am thinking about purchasing a Superchips performance programmer for my V6. Its claims to add around 50 ponies and 35 ft-lbs of torque. Combine that with a BBK cold air intake and new exhaust, which should add 15-20 more ponies, and my V6 would turn into a GT of the same era... Sounds good right? Well what I want to know is how exactly the programmers work. The price is $350. Would it really be worth the cost of buying? And do they have to stay plugged in to the OBD II port in order to work??

·
Registered
625 Posts
Nope, sorry, someone pulling your leg. Doesn't matter if it's a new 4.0 V6 or any 3.8, there is no simple plug and play or chip or programmer that will give that much power. They may claim, but it's a gimmick. Take the money and invest in decent mods, simple bolt on's for V6 should not need any dyno tune.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay. It sounded too good to be true. So what about the other stuff it does such as clearing and reading engine codes, editing transmission shift points, optimizing fuel economy, adjusting speedometer for different wheel sizes, etc?

·
Registered
31 Posts
yes it will do all of those things just not add 50hp more like 15-20hp

S

·
0 Posts
Hey Ponyboy. Also keep in mind that when adding modifications to your Stang you can't just start adding up HP. If a tuner claims 20 and a CAI claims 15 you don't get 35 HP total. Mods work in harmony with each other to achieve gains. Do some searches here to see what other people are running on their V6's and you'll see a pattern of what to do and what not to do. Tuners by SCT and Diablo are quite popular and can add HP... just not typically what the magazine ads claim.

Search around and you'll find some good info here.

:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's true the total amount claimed by the manufacturer is only close to being achieved by all obtainable upgrades being added and tuned in conjunction with the tuner.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
dont mistake theroadwarrior's response as saying an SCT tuner is bad.. its just that they exaggerate what you can get out of the tuner.. to see maximum gains out of any tuner whether it be diablosport or SCT a tune would have to be made from scratch on a dyno..

the online mail order tunes that certain places can give you will be somewhat conservative and unable to unlock your cars true potential as every car runs a little differently..

aside from just tuning the car though they are pretty useful pieces of equipment.. they can be basically a little window into whats going on inside your cars computer

R

·
0 Posts

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
lmao +20 MPG and 275 more HP... these people are stupid.. who would really believe that..

·
Registered
585 Posts
lmao +20 MPG and 275 more HP... these people are stupid.. who would really believe that..

I know of some people. a Scion xB with 400 hp (LOL) and a Chevy Cavalier that just learned the lesson about scams last week at the drive in when his "275 horsepower Chip" didn't actually make his car faster :D

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
hahaha those guys should be ashamed of themselves

·
Registered
585 Posts
Just realized I said drive in. I meant to say Drag Strip lol

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
i know haha thats why i just had to google it see if i could find something retarded on ebay
i bet you could find a LOT of retarded things on ebay lol

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay thanks guys. Not so sure that I want one now or not. If I get one, It'll be one of my last mods for it.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
its a good idea to get all of your basic bolt ons first and then get it tuned

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.