Ford Mustang Forum banner

Do you have a Tune, and with or w/o problems?

• I do NOT have a Tune

Votes: 183 48.3%
  • I have a Tune w/o any problems

Votes: 177 46.7%
  • I have a Tune with cylinder #8 problems

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • I have a Tune and Ford fixes my car under Warranty

Votes: 19 5.0%
  • I have a Tune and Ford voided parts of my Warranty

Votes: 1 0.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a Tune, and with or w/o problems?

Basically as it states, I want to see an anonymous Poll of the number of people with or without tunes, and what percentage with tunes have problems with their car, and of that number I want to see the percentage of people with items being covered under warranty or the warranty being voided.

SELECT ALL THAT APPLY

·
Registered
364 Posts
Just voted... first I am hearing about problems with cylinder #8.

Is this with a particular tuner? You think the tuner would address any issues caused by the tune... I know Bama would be pretty involved in fixing any problem caused directly by the tune itself.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
My last mustang, which is a 2010 GT and is now my fathers, is still running great @ 10K... tuned her at 3K I think???? She's a blast :p

·
Registered
131 Posts
I got my new 2011 Mustang GT in April and installed a C&L CAI along with loading a Bama 93 street tune around the 1st of this month. No problems in 4 weeks of daily driving. Runs great.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Just voted... first I am hearing about problems with cylinder #8.

Is this with a particular tuner? You think the tuner would address any issues caused by the tune... I know Bama would be pretty involved in fixing any problem caused directly by the tune itself.
The problems, while serious, are so far and few that it's not a reason to panic. It's good for everyone to be aware of the risks, but that's it. We've tuned thousands of 2011 Mustangs here at Bama, and we've only heard of a two cases, where luckily the warranty claim was accepted, both times. I've seen maybe 5 or 6 others from a few different companies. That's a small amount for the huge amount of Mustangs running custom tunes.

The buzz comes from every forum having 5 or 6 threads about the same thing. It looks like there's a lot more problems than their really is.

Use good quality fuel at all times, and we've got you covered from there. All Bama tunes being distributed have taken every safety precaution possible from within the tune. Knock sensors are fully functional and the tunes are commanding a safe air/fuel ratio. There are an overwhelming amount of positive threads and dyno results out there - check those out!

·
Registered
291 Posts
How do I know if my #8 is not working properly without opening her up? Any CEL?s

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Keep those Poll Votes coming please, I want to dispel the myth about how many Mustang owners have tunes, and what percentage do or dont have problems.

Clickitty those vote buttons, this will be good information. As long as you only vote, it will be ANONYMOUS.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The problems, while serious, are so far and few that it's not a reason to panic. It's good for everyone to be aware of the risks, but that's it. We've tuned thousands of 2011 Mustangs here at Bama, and we've only heard of a two cases, where luckily the warranty claim was accepted, both times. I've seen maybe 5 or 6 others from a few different companies. That's a small amount for the huge amount of Mustangs running custom tunes.

The buzz comes from every forum having 5 or 6 threads about the same thing. It looks like there's a lot more problems than their really is.

Use good quality fuel at all times, and we've got you covered from there. All Bama tunes being distributed have taken every safety precaution possible from within the tune. Knock sensors are fully functional and the tunes are commanding a safe air/fuel ratio. There are an overwhelming amount of positive threads and dyno results out there - check those out!

Sucks that you now have to explain this at least once a day on a different thread, on different forums..... etc...

Too bad they are pinning this on the tunes, something that shows so logically to be a "birth defect"..

Anyway I can check if my car has this.flaw?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Too bad they are pinning this on the tunes, something that shows so logically to be a "birth defect"..
Well if the only people having the failures are running aftermarket tunes logic would dictate that it's not a Ford issue. Let's not group this in with the MR82 problems as a Ford issue please.

·
Registered
43 Posts
How do I know if my #8 is not working properly without opening her up? Any CEL?s

You have to heat the engine up and put your tongue on the block.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Another idea is to research the BBB rating of the company you are getting the tune from. Last I checked AM got an A+, Brenspeed an A-, and one of the Lund shops had a big fat F (do your own research here). I know most swear by Lund's tunes, but they didn't work well for me because I had pinging. I am glad I switched.

·
Registered
653 Posts
My 5 liter is 2 days old, have a appoitment to get it tuned next week. Though I am lucky I have Tasca Ford in my back yard, and if something happens they will stand behind there tunes.

Like others have said, it is only a very small number of vehicals that have any issues. Like anything machanical things can happen, but if you pick out the right tuner, and don't ask him to push the envelope you should be fine.

If you are unsure on a tuner in your area, do your reseach, try to find out what type of reputation they have, or better yet go to your local club and see who everyone uses. Then be honest with what you are looking for, how you would rather him tune on the safe side, and tell him every mod you have on your car.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Got 2 5.0L's with tunes and no issues at all. One car makes well into the 700rwhp range and has gone 10.20's with the stock trans and engine. The other is a 2012 Boss which is the first Boss into the 10's with a [email protected] (can't disclose power numbers as it's part of a 5.0 Mustang Magazine article). Same thing. Stock trans, rear end and engine.

Both were custom tuned by our tuner Jon Lund.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jon Lund tune with no issues.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
No tune yet. Don't have my car yet...LOL

One of the first mods will definitely be a tune.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Out of the data collected, the 48-people that state they have a Tune, only 1-person stated they have a problem, meaning that if you got a Tune, you would have a 2% chance of experiencing an issue after you get a Tune.

This data is in stark contrast to the picture being painted by some people, scaring people away from tunes, and making it sound like our cars are on the verge of failure all the time, which apparently is not the case. If it was, the Ford dealers would be flooded with Mustangs waiting for work, and this clearly isn't the case.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bama 93 tune, Auto , stock motor, no CAI, only complaint... i need wider tires..

·
Registered
677 Posts
I have had tunes for 11 months---BAMA tunes --91 stock---91 performance--93 race----NO PROBLEMS!

1 - 20 of 121 Posts