Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so this is right behind the water pump to the right of the distributor (standing in front of the engine), ive been digging around and i heard of a weep hole that the waterpump has to warn me its going bad, is this where that hole is??

i started over heating yesterday and i usually stay at the halfway mark.

2010: replaced waterpump, thermostat, radiator and cap, bypassed heater core, all same day

last night i changed the thermostat even though it was functional, my plan now is to replace the water pump fan and fan clutch and pull codes when i get home from work

but back to my original question is that the weep hole leak and the reason why I'm heating up so fast? thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
797 Posts
Waterpumps suck. 20 plus years, I have yet to find a reliable one.

I have that same leak but haven't looked into it yet since I have more pressing issues. I originally thought the gasket on the timing cover was leaking, but there's no coolant in there. I can only offer my best guess, which is the waterpump is leaking at the mating surface to the timing cover. I also thought maybe the head gasket was shot, since there are coolant passages in there, but I don't have coolant in my oil, nor do I have the telltale white smoke in my exhaust either. So, I believe it's one of the two: blown head gasket or waterpump gasket.

If you have the time, clean up the coolant. Run your engine until hot, turn it off and see exactly where it's coming from.

The hole you are referring to is on the front of the water pump...so, this leak you photographed isn't that.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Waterpumps suck. 20 plus years, I have yet to find a reliable one.

I have that same leak but haven't looked into it yet since I have more pressing issues. I originally thought the gasket on the timing cover was leaking, but there's no coolant in there. I can only offer my best guess, which is the waterpump is leaking at the mating surface to the timing cover. I also thought maybe the head gasket was shot, since there are coolant passages in there, but I don't have coolant in my oil, nor do I have the telltale white smoke in my exhaust either. So, I believe it's one of the two: blown head gasket or waterpump gasket.

The hole you are referring to is on the front of the water pump...so, this leak you photographed isn't that.
I believe I've had that leak for a while too but it wasn't as bad, so since you have it, its not causing any severe over heating issues? because if its not my water pump im ******* lost

·
Registered
797 Posts
No, I don't have any overheating issues.

I edited my original post, I guess when you were putting up your post. I'd suggest cleaning that coolant up, running the motor until hot, then get comfortable and stand there to watch exactly where it's coming from. I haven't done that yet, but will one day...

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
As with all types of leaks whether oil or coolant you need to clean the area so that it is spotless. You want to be able to pinpoint where the leak is coming from so with oil coolant or oil in the area you will never be able to see it.

Next get a pressure tester and hook it up and pressurize the system and see where it is leaking by.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As with all types of leaks whether oil or coolant you need to clean the area so that it is spotless. You want to be able to pinpoint where the leak is coming from so with oil coolant or oil in the area you will never be able to see it.

Next get a pressure tester and hook it up and pressurize the system and see where it is leaking by.
can i be lazy and assume its the water pump and change it then have it leak again and then hate my life...

since i already bought a new pump:grinroll:

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Sure if you want to do a job a couple times...:D

·
Registered
797 Posts
At least in this case whatever work you do with the waterpump won't have to be repeated if it happens to be the head gasket.

That's the stuff I find maddening, having to repeat the labor I just did, in order to dig deeper...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I that the only place leaking?? It wouldnt be a head gasket, if it was your car would not start... clean up the area, let it idle, check around the crankpulley to see if the antifreeze is their too, if so the pump is bad... make sure to get a new O-ring for installation and use High temperature silicone for gasket as well. Double layer the O-ring alot. That will rule it out completely if it is something else...
Based on the picture you have shown, my guess is you have installed the gasket on the thermostat wrong. take it off, scrap the old gasket off and use alot of hightemperature silocone around the thermostat.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
At least in this case whatever work you do with the waterpump won't have to be repeated if it happens to be the head gasket.

That's the stuff I find maddening, having to repeat the labor I just did, in order to dig deeper...
yeah if it was the head gasket id have to kill somebody because i refuse to kill myself

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I that the only place leaking?? It wouldnt be a head gasket, if it was your car would not start... clean up the area, let it idle, check around the crankpulley to see if the antifreeze is their too, if so the pump is bad... make sure to get a new O-ring for installation and use High temperature silicone for gasket as well. Double layer the O-ring alot. That will rule it out completely if it is something else...
Based on the picture you have shown, my guess is you have installed the gasket on the thermostat wrong. take it off, scrap the old gasket off and use alot of hightemperature silocone around the thermostat.
possibly, but i don't remember that was in 2010 **** i thought i did it right it was fine untill now

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks guys

when the water pump is bad doesn't that cause very fast heating? id say 3 minutes from cold my gauge is in red

·
Registered
797 Posts
where that leak is, most likely the thermostat gasket. waterpump weep hole is on the BOTTOM of the pump.
The only problem I have with that is the neck of the upper radiator hose attaches directly above the left side of the timing cover. I have no coolant collected on the left side, and the little pool on the right side. The same as the OP I assume. So, I don't see how it could be the thermostat gasket.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
The only problem I have with that is the neck of the upper radiator hose attaches directly above the left side of the timing cover. I have no coolant collected on the left side, and the little pool on the right side. The same as the OP I assume. So, I don't see how it could be the thermostat gasket.
depends on where it is squirting out of the gasket.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts