Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You see it all the time and it happened here again this week. Two teenagers racing (70-80 MPH in a 40 zone) on a curvy, hilly, congested, WET road crashed this week. A 16 year old driving an M3 was trapped in his car and unable to get out when his car caught fire. The media reported medical examiner had a difficult time determinging whether he died from his burns or from toxic inhalation. His 18 year old buddy he was racing is in jail for vehicular homicide and will most likely spend the next phase of his life behind bars.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2002764967_crash27e.html

So here are my questions. Do you street race? Ever? Where do you draw the line if you do? Be honest. I think most of us are hypocrites to SOME DEGREE because I doubt very few if ANY of us have NEVER raced on the street, yet none of us likes what happened in the incident above.

I'll go first. I'm very lucky, I live about 15 minutes away from one of the fastest, most well known and long lived drag strips in the country, Pacific Raceways (AKA Seattle International Raceway). It has been a stop each year for the big boys of the NHRA since the late 1950s and held hundreds of NHRA records along the way. I realize everyone does not live so close to a race track but I bet most of us live within a reasonable distance from one. Just do it there. Once you do it's like you have a decreased desire to street race. You can unleash all of your driving capabilities as well as the capabilities of your car. Most of all, it's fun. You get to show off your car and see what other drivers are doing to theirs.

Do I ever street race? I live in a very rural area (doesn't make it less illegal) so if some ricer with a gauge pod and a whale tail wants to go at a green light on the street, I'll usually inspect the situation, looking for GTNOS or 4521.11, and then go with him for a 0-35 MPH, no-tire-chirping, race. If I'm on a freeway and the same ricer is the only other car in sight I'll give hime a one gear, 60-100 MPH try. Never in traffic and never for more than just a few seconds. Am I any better than those boys whose lives are now either changed forever or OVER?

Speaking of GTNOS and 4521.11, I'm interested in hearing from you guys. You're sworn to uphold the law, but do you EVER just give it a go? GTNOS, you're stoked to get nitrous, are you only going to use it only at the track?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
5twenty said:
GTNOS, you're stoked to get nitrous, are you only going to use it only at the track?
Yes, he [wink wink] is only going to [wink wink nudge nudge, know-what-I-mean] use it at the track. None of us [cough] would ever even think of so much as [not making eye contact] speeding or blasting up a stretch of freeway. Those sorts of activities are only for young, immature [ahem] people.

Seriously, I think... it depends on the situation. We all know if something happened there would be nothing to do but regret the decision. However, emotions and adrenaline [the male version of PMS] really run the whole show occasionally and you look back and think of how lucky you might have been and say a quick thank you to your choice of dieties or St. Peter for looking out for your stupid a$$.

"Jeez, did I just do a doughnut in a $30,000 car?!?! At least I turned off the Traction Control."

"Did I just drift my glossy and perfect fastback around that bend, kinda, sorta on purpose?"

When I used to do a little too much lifting, on the way home, if my back was tight, sometimes, I would floor it, in the XJ12 so when it shifted aggressively, it would pop my back :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
naa..suprising since im 16 huh? haha like today two lanes and i see an 05 gt in my lane..we come upon a red light, and i could of easily switched lanes side by side and raced...but i decided to talighgate(kinda lol) him hahaha:sterb: So yea...usually alot of my friends speed and wat not, and sometimes i do at times; but to an extent were i know im not suppose to be doing this.

Haha some of my friends tell me i drive to slow for a Gt...but i just try to respect it. I dunno guess some will understand, and others wont haha.

But yea thats my side:kooky: hahaha

·
Registered
11 Posts
drive to fast. I give ricers a run never in traffic or around a lot of cars. Just on the turnpike mostly. Had a 3000gt trying to race me through rush hour traffic 3 lanes stop and go and he is revving his engine at me.Thouse are the guys who get pined into wrecks. I drive to fast but i have never got a speeding ticket or into a wreck so it must not be that bad.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I havent/dont/wont 'race' anyone...I do drive a bit faster than I should(just 4-5 over: the usual 'ticket threshold'- but not over speed limit in the old 65 galaxie-drum brakes), take off and stop a lot faster than I should occasionally(no tire spinning- well not much), but try to keep things under control...I would REALLY like to get on a road course this summer to thrash the heck out of the mustang though- the car just begs to go, but with people/pets/traffic/dusty roads, there really aint any safe place to romp on it to anyway its potential without risking hurting someone. however onramps are fun- zero to sixty in 5 point what? lets see :) I find myself deliberately stopping early at lights so ramp will be clear :) not racing, probably marginal as far as legal(it IS an acceleration lane) but dont seem unsafe either...

·
Registered
599 Posts
Blew a dodge ram hemi awwwaayy just 10 minutes ago on the way home.:smoke:
We got up to about 55 in a 40. If I cant win by 65 or so thats plenty fast for me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I use to go street racing every weekend when i had my Camaro and Vette. I had a bunch of friends who had very fast ricers. I would only do it when we would meet at a industrial dead end street with no cross traffic. We also had a spot where it was a private street and the owner of the property had a twin turbo supra. I really hate people who want to race in traffic, its just not worth risking peoples lives for a stupid grudge. Take it to the track, 1/4 mile and also do a technical course and see if you can really drive! these are the real racers

·
Registered
77 Posts
when i drive highway i speed a little (Cruise at 75ish) i have peaked at 105 on the highway but it was at 11:30pm on a saturday and no one was around. i will accel hard at lights and maybe spin tires (depends on road condition, others and whether im on a slope or a little angled by road) but most Sr's in my HS and some older kids with ricers arent really upgraded cept for a Intake, TB and Exhaust so they're not too cocky. i live near a giant industrial place (5 miles) and its got a huge (1/2+ Mile) 2 Lane straight strip and my neighbor is the owner and he lets me in sometimes after hours or on weekends to let me get my car up to speed. i never would really high way race because the last thing i want to do is crash my car and hurt myself/others doing something i know could have been avoided

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use to street race in my teens and early 20's. Raced every thing that I came up to on the local street. I was never pulled over or had a crash, but did have a few close calls. I then got married and bought a house and my race days were over being I did not want to lose any of these things.

Now that I have the 05 Gt along with a 99 Coupe things have changed. I will not race on the street but I will take the 05 to over 140 on the run to and from Las Vegas for a few miles or more but only if the road is right and no one is around that can cause something to happen.

The only racing I do now is at the "Street Legal" drags at the California Speedway once a month. (109 mph in 13.3 sec. 1/4 mile run and working on more)

Let me say that I work very close with law enforcement and do the mechanical investigations of cars that have had a fatal. I do around 6 cars a year and I have seen my fair share of the ones that had been from a street race. (both the race car and the victim of a race car) My kids see the cars after I'm done and what happens when sheet metal meets a object that does not give way (poles, trees, rocks, walls, houses,and other cars). so to me street racing is something I dont do.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Under "Forums" then "Community Forums" there is a forum called member kill stories where you will find plenty of stories about street racing.

·
Registered
785 Posts
If you consider flexing one's muscles at the turn of a green light and next to another revving machine street racing, I have done it. I usually stop and slow down when I'm at the speed limit. I do take my car beyond this point in not so crowded freeways.

I was humbled by a younger dude one time when I did the above, he stopped at the next light next to me and lectured me on the fines one would get if we got caught. I figured he was right and try not to do it again.

Next time I'll do what citydave does. Who won? CityDave? The GT or the bug?:kooky:

·
Registered
261 Posts
id like to pass a bill through congress , every state should have an AUTOBHAN!!!!!!! then we would all have a decent stretch of road to reem our cars out. vynle

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
vynle said:
id like to pass a bill through congress , every state should have an AUTOBHAN!!!!!!! then we would all have a decent stretch of road to reem our cars out. vynle
Oh boy.... :drool: I am totally thinking we should just do it to the N-S freeways and the E-W freeways. Maybe make it a one-pay, toll road b/c you know everyone would like to try it over and over :) Imagine how much money a toll road would make if it cost $5 when you got on the road and you could drive all day, as fast as you wanted? Longest curves you could make, on the road so you don't have people wiping out and sliding into the forest at 170MPH :sosad: Let Wal-Mart pay for the highway maintenance, in exchange for letting them put a Super-Store at every rest stop.

Averaging 130MPH, a 2,500 mile, cross country trip would be about 20 hours? Take you two easy days to get from Sacramento, CA to Ocean City, MD?

You know, my GF always mentions that it feels like the car should be going faster, when we putt along, at 70 miles an hour.

vynyle, you are a genius, man.

·
Registered
886 Posts
dude, how do I submit my vote on that one??? GREAT idea!!!

Yeah, I race sometimes. But not in traffic, not in areas the cops prowl, not in residential areas, and not in bad weather. I turn down way more offers than I take.

But, now, drifting around corners when no one's nearby, that's another matter. Maybe that's why I've been autocrossing but not to the strip yet. The strip is Silver Dollar Raceway, reynolds, ga. They had one of the big NMRA meets there back in the fall. nice place.

besides,The faster I burn out the neros, the faster I get wider rubber!!:winks

·
Registered
261 Posts
yeah thx. i really think it would be great. hey if you dont want to drive fast, stay off that road! as far as accidents maybe there is a clause in your insurance policy that states , if you are on this road you are not covered. im not sure how germany deals with this. or maybe you have a separate policy altogether. im of the notion that it is not speed that kills ,just stupidity! also maybe you need to take a driving course and even get a separate licence like they hav for CDL, lets call it a RDL- RACING DRIVERS LICENCE. and as said earlier you have a toll booth at the beginning and you present your license in order to drive on it. if i knew i could get on a stretch of road and floor my car , maybe i wouldnt feel the need to punch it on some roads that i do drive. if they had a cross country autoban , all the more better. i know this is just fancy but it would be fun! vynle:eyepoppin

N

·
0 Posts
will streetrace anyone on any road anywhere...its my life...its one of my favorite fun things...been doing it for years...wont stop and wont apologize...i dont do it in traffic so dont worry about ya granma with me...if you look close at my plate it says streetracer..:winks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I've been a street racer since the seventies.Friday nights on the I-70 frontage road by the John Deer plant.I've settled down due to slower reflexes and a weak heart but a little block to block action every now and then feels pretty good.What I really like is a 120mph blast on the freeway.Yup! Nothing like a car that'll plant you back in your seat and even if you lose.its still fun.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I drive this car very fast :happyhapp

·
Registered
867 Posts
A. Street racing is dangerous and stupid. :sterb:

B. California law is too tough. The fine is high and they will take your car and crush it into a little cube - paid for or not. :dunce:

Yes I drive fast - but I won't give up my car to show up a ricer. The only place to race is the track. I DO have a particular on ramp that runs straight for about 3/4ths of a mile - no cross traffic or other obstacles. It's a great place to do full throttle merges and the worst I can get is a speeding or "exhibition of speed" ticket - but there is no place for the Highway patrol to hide except to come up behind me :laughlitt

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Last night some guy in his little Subaru Turbo car was razzing me all the way home on the hiway wanting to race, the road is wide open with no one in sight and this yahoo wouldn't back off.I really had no interest due to his agessive nature.To make matters worse we come to a stop light and he gets out pounding on my window yelling some of his best racial slurs. My buddy(neighbor),a hiway patrol man was on duty and I had called him before the traffic light,he tells me hes very close to that intersection where I get off.He actually saw the incident.His car was a late model Intrepid with blacked out windows.It was awesome,he tickets the guy for wreckless endangerment(12 points) and had his vehicled towed to the impound lot.

Your right, racing is dangerous but some of us street racers know when to back off and use a nice long entrance ramp,even if it has two lanes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.