Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an SCT tuner for their Mustang that has an off-road H or X pipe without MIL eliminators. I have a 1998 Mustang GT that has a custom tune from an SCT SF3 tuner but I get a check engine light for the rear O2 sensors.
I also have a 2002 Mustang GT with a custom tune from an SCT Livewire tuner and I do NOT get a check engine light. The only real difference is that the 2002 Mustang GT has MIL eliminators.

Do you think that the MIL eliminators on the 2002 GT keeps the check engine light off, and the custom tune doesn't turn off the O2 sensors? :headscratch:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The SCT tuner should have turned off the O2 sensors, but for some reason it didn't.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
I have an SF3/X3, with no cats and no check engine light on either my custom or the canned tune that came in it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Bullitt5339,Where did you get your SF3/X3 tuner and custom tune? I am having lots of trouble with my SCT SF3. Also, what tune do you have flashed into your car... the custom tune or the strategy tune.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Hey Bullitt5339,Where did you get your SF3/X3 tuner and custom tune? I am having lots of trouble with my SCT SF3. Also, what tune do you have flashed into your car... the custom tune or the strategy tune.
I purchased my tuner from Holcomb Motorsports, since they are a 15 minute drive for me. Internet pricing at a local shop FTW!!!!!

I have had 2 custom tunes, one a mail order tune from VMP Tuning, which was great for a mail order tune, I would highly recommend them. I also requested before he did the tune that he left user adjustability on, so that if problems arose, such as the ones you're having, I can see and fix any small problems. But I didn't have any, the tune was spot on, just a tad rich, but that's understandable for a mail order tune, you don't want it to end up being lean, and burning an engine and the tuner doesn't want that to happen either. He also offers one updated tune, if you get on the dyno and send him a datalog and the A/F readouts, he'll adjust it once for you free of charge. I think I paid somewhere around $50, and it took about a week, but was well worth the $50.

My 2nd tune was done by ProDyno, actually on the dyno, and it's dead nuts on, of course, they spent a lot of time working on my car to get it perfect. Again, I requested them leave user adjustability on, so that if I changed gear ratios or anything, I didn't have to come back to them to have it changed, I can do that myself. This is the tune that's currently in my car.

The canned tune that was in the SF3 when I bought it was horrible for my car. The SF3 doesn't have a specific Bullitt tune in it, so it loaded the GT tune, but with Bullitt intake and CAI, my air/fuel was very lean, and I couldn't even run it in the car with the 87 octane tune, using 93 octane without it pinging.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently put on MIL eliminators. What do you know...no Check Engine light. SCT :cursing:
:fuming:

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
You guys with CELs from your tunes must either be doing something wrong, or whoever is doing the tunes for you isn't cutting them off.

I've had 3 different SCT Tuners through the years, and never had any problems turning off the rear O2's. Neither has anyone else I've known, unless they were using the canned tune, and didn't go in and manually turn off the rear O2's in the programming.

If yours is a custom tune, hopefully they left user adjustability on, so you can go in and manually turn it off yourself, and then reload the tune.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.