Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting close to finishing the restoration of a 67 fastback and I was thinking about using silicone brake fluid, I was wondering if anyone can give me some opinions on this.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Silicone works well if you have updated all of your brake components and the system is completely dry prior to it's installation. Any mixture with standard brake fluid will contaminate the system and eventually cause deterioration of rubber components. (The first thing you will notice is the rubber seal on the master cyl. cap getting soft and swelling up.) If you don't want to take a chance, use DOT4 which also improve the performance of your brake system due to its higher boiling point and improved corrosion resistance. Change your fluid every three years or so to avoid copper contamination. (This is not as important if you have used stainless steel lines.)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Silicone fluid absorbs air bubbles and results in a spongier pedal feel. The higher your altitude, the worse the problem. Living at 6150' that is a concern here. It also does not absorb water like regular glycols and allows water to collect in droplets inside the system which can cause concerns about rusting. Regular fluid suspends the water and you get rid of it when you change the fluid every couple of years.

Silicone fluid was designed for the US Army for use at -40F but outside Alaska that likely isn't an advantage. The Army has considered doing away with it and if they do it likely will disappear from the market. The best part is it doesn't damage paint like regular fluid.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts