Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I've heard, it was a very limited accessory. I thought it might be something cool to recreate with LEDs. Does anyone out there have any info about it? I know it went on with the fog and headlights...I think. It illuminated the horse in the coral to make a sillohette of it when driving.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
I don't know that it had anything to do with safety; it just lit up the horse from behind.

In the early 60s (???) there was a 'safety light' that some were promoting which was pretty much a clear backup light mounted in the center of the grille (for any car) which was always on when the car was running. My dad bought one from JC Whitney for our '59 Rambler. Basically it made other drivers wonder what in the %^&*@# you had mounted in your grille and why. :) Since it caught their attention they were supposed to be less likely to crash into you. The idea didn't go over all that well so you rarely see or hear about them today. A 'Safety Silhouette Light' sounds like someone combining those two ideas into the same light for a Mustang.

Hiding LEDs behind the horse and having them illuminate a translucent plastic horse surround might be difficult to do.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know that it had anything to do with safety; it just lit up the horse from behind.

In the early 60s (???) there was a 'safety light' that some were promoting which was pretty much a clear backup light mounted in the center of the grille (for any car) which was always on when the car was running. My dad bought one from JC Whitney for our '59 Rambler. Basically it made other drivers wonder what in the %^&*@# you had mounted in your grille and why. :) Since it caught their attention they were supposed to be less likely to crash into you. The idea didn't go over all that well so you rarely see or hear about them today. A 'Safety Silhouette Light' sounds like someone combining those two ideas into the same light for a Mustang.

Hiding LEDs behind the horse and having them illuminate a translucent plastic horse surround might be difficult to do.
Haha it looks cool from what I've seen and heard lol. Yeah I never heard about the light until recently. Essentially it is that idea. Yeahh I was hoping to use the orginal but ahhh damn...ill do LED trunk lighting instead.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just be careful of your colors (like stay with white). Since you live in LA, no sense making it easy to get pulled over for illegal lights.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just be careful of your colors (like stay with white). Since you live in LA, no sense making it easy to get pulled over for illegal lights.
I know! The city I live in pegs people for everything. I have friends who have riced out cars getting pulled over left and right. Ironically I so far haven't...despite questionable stops and yellows.

Basically avoid blue coral lights haha.

On an unrelated note, I heard somewhere that if your rear wheels pass the crosswalk line on a yellow then it turns red you are safe?

·
Registered
593 Posts
On an unrelated note, I heard somewhere that if your rear wheels pass the crosswalk line on a yellow then it turns red you are safe?

A little off the subject, but ---- You have to be lawfully in the intersection before the light turns red. The intersection is marked by "the prolongation of the lateral curb lines". So the front of your vehicle has to be past the line of the curbs before the light turns red.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
yes I have the safety silhouette light on my car. It had it on since I bought it. for a while there was a company that was reproducing it as it was originally made. there is a company now that is reproducing a similar look with LED's now.

here is a picture of my car with the light. btw it is called the safety silhouette light. it it originally came with a little gold decal and the reproductions had that decal as well. they were a limited option and It is kind of unique. not many people have them so I think it is kind of cool. to each his own.

here is the LED version by scott drake. Scott Drake Store - Grille Corral LED personally I like the way mine looks better.

the thumb picture is also my car with the original style.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A little off the subject, but ---- You have to be lawfully in the intersection before the light turns red. The intersection is marked by "the prolongation of the lateral curb lines". So the front of your vehicle has to be past the line of the curbs before the light turns red.
Oh yay! Then that means I've don't have to worry about some questionable intersections. Lol thanks a lot.

yes I have the safety silhouette light on my car. It had it on since I bought it. for a while there was a company that was reproducing it as it was originally made. there is a company now that is reproducing a similar look with LED's now.

here is a picture of my car with the light. btw it is called the safety silhouette light. it it originally came with a little gold decal and the reproductions had that decal as well. they were a limited option and It is kind of unique. not many people have them so I think it is kind of cool. to each his own.

here is the LED version by scott drake. Scott Drake Store - Grille Corral LED personally I like the way mine looks better.

the thumb picture is also my car with the original style.
1) thanks for the info! I never knew Drake made those. I always thought they were a unique item so eventually I was hoping to pick one up or make one. Do you know the quality of the LED one by chance?
2) Your car looks amazing! Curious question, what seats are those?
3) you wouldn't happen to have a pic of the lights on at night?
4) I wish I knew the history of my car :( on a brighter note though, not knowing the history means I can make one up to my liking...

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Oh yay! Then that means I've don't have to worry about some questionable intersections. Lol thanks a lot.

1) thanks for the info! I never knew Drake made those. I always thought they were a unique item so eventually I was hoping to pick one up or make one. Do you know the quality of the LED one by chance?
2) Your car looks amazing! Curious question, what seats are those?
3) you wouldn't happen to have a pic of the lights on at night?
4) I wish I knew the history of my car :( on a brighter note though, not knowing the history means I can make one up to my liking...

I have never seen one of the scott drake ones installed. most of the stuff scott drake makes is pretty good quality though.

thanks for the compliment. the seats are corbeau sport seats. I bought them uncovered and had custom upholstery put on them in salt lake city.

no I don't have any pictures of it with the light on at night. I will try to get one, one of these next few days before winter sets in lol.

I don't know the whole history of my car, but my Dad bought it in 1983 as a project for himself. I really liked the car so when I turned 19 in (1985) he gave it to me. I have had it ever since and I have been working on it off and on ever since as well lol.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have never seen one of the scott drake ones installed. most of the stuff scott drake makes is pretty good quality though.

thanks for the compliment. the seats are corbeau sport seats. I bought them uncovered and had custom upholstery put on them in salt lake city.

no I don't have any pictures of it with the light on at night. I will try to get one, one of these next few days before winter sets in lol.

I don't know the whole history of my car, but my Dad bought it in 1983 as a project for himself. I really liked the car so when I turned 19 in (1985) he gave it to me. I have had it ever since and I have been working on it off and on ever since as well lol.
Mmm after I fix all my leaks and hook up my fog lights ill invest in a Drake one. And yeah from what I can tell your seats look amazing. Another project I have to do would be my fiero seats recovered in pony interior...
If you can get a picture that would be awesome :] much appreciated.
Wow, lucky. I got my car as a grad present from high school. So far a year later and yeah still love it. Awesome story.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Sorry it took a while to get the picture. The weather has been nasty and I have been full of all kinds of other excuses as well. any way here it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry it took a while to get the picture. The weather has been nasty and I have been full of all kinds of other excuses as well. any way here it is.
That looks sweet! Hopefully ill be ordering the drake one soon...still have to hook up my fog lights too. And seal my rear windshield :(
Awesome car!

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hello. :) I can't believe I didn't see this thread before, but, I have one of those silhouette lights on my car. Ford also made something like this for both the 66 and the 67 Mustangs with the part numbers C6ZZ-8B366-A and C7ZZ-8B366-A , available from your local Ford dealer's parts department for the marginal sum of $12.50. :)

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) That does sound a bit stiff, :gringreen especially considering some of the other stuff that was available for about the same thing. A driver's side remote mirror was $12.75 in 66, the vacuum cleaner that plugged into the cigarette lighter was $14.95, the throttle control kit (ghetto cruise control :gringreen) was only 10 bucks and the wheel trim rings ( ghetto white walls) were only $14.58. :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi again. :) That does sound a bit stiff, :gringreen especially considering some of the other stuff that was available for about the same thing. A driver's side remote mirror was $12.75 in 66, the vacuum cleaner that plugged into the cigarette lighter was $14.95, the throttle control kit (ghetto cruise control :gringreen) was only 10 bucks and the wheel trim rings ( ghetto white walls) were only $14.58. :)
To bad the prices aren't the same :(
Btw, Veronica can you post a pic of yours as well?

Hello. :) I can't believe I didn't see this thread before, but, I have one of those silhouette lights on my car. Ford also made something like this for both the 66 and the 67 Mustangs with the part numbers C6ZZ-8B366-A and C7ZZ-8B366-A , available from your local Ford dealer's parts department for the marginal sum of $12.50. :)
I'm hoping the repros are good

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Hi again. :) I've seen the Scott Drake junk and, as usual, it doesn't look anything like the originals from 'back in the day'. It has a cheap looking plastic pony in the middle of it, and you have to remove the Ford pony. Overall a very shoddy product. Here's what mine looks like. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
actually Veronica I have seen the ones you are talking about also, but that isn't what these scott drake ones are. at least not the ones I was talking about. again I have not seen one of them in person, but if you click the link I provided and then open the install instructions they show a picture of it. Here is a pdf copy of there instructions. and although they don't look quite like the original they don't look bad, at least not in the picture and it does not replace the original pony it just goes behind it.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi again. :) I've seen the Scott Drake junk and, as usual, it doesn't look anything like the originals from 'back in the day'. It has a cheap looking plastic pony in the middle of it, and you have to remove the Ford pony. Overall a very shoddy product. Here's what mine looks like. :)
I've seen the China knockoffs on an accessory page compairing the originals with the China knockoffs. The Drakes don't look like knockoffs, however I wonder if I can screw it in with only one working screw. My corral's top screw broke off in the hole and I've been trying to figure out how to get it out.

Lovely car color, I have the same color! Beautiful car by the way.

actually Veronica I have seen the ones you are talking about also, but that isn't what these scott drake ones are. at least not the ones I was talking about. again I have not seen one of them in person, but if you click the link I provided and then open the install instructions they show a picture of it. Here is a pdf copy of there instructions. and although they don't look quite like the original they don't look bad, at least not in the picture and it does not replace the original pony it just goes behind it.
Thank you for the pdf instructions, they don't look bad and considering I'm slowly changing everything to LEDs I don't mind the LEd look. Mustangproject interior and dash LEDs, (soon to install) Blue LED strip lighting in the trunk, etc...

·
Registered
9,200 Posts
Lovely car color, I have the same color! Beautiful car by the way.
Hi again. :) Thank you. I love that color, also. :) Mine is Skylight Blue, a 64 1/2 only color. There is a 65 color called Tropical Turquoise that is very similar.

As far as the pony back-lights that Scott Drake now makes, I haven't seen one for a couple of years, but, it is very difficult for me to imagine it now being a quality piece. I don't recall ever having looked through a Scott Drake catalogue, and see no reason to start, since there is no way that I would put a Scott Drake part on my car. I have seen the results of that far too many times on other peoples cars. :gringreen My old Mustang is the car that I drive every time I need to go somewhere in a car, and I want everything on it to work like it's supposed to every time. :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts