Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check out the circled part protruding from my engine's valve cover. Does anyone have any idea why this is like this? I've looked at other 200 I-6's and none of them have this. Seems like some kind of mount or bracket. Any ideas? Appreciate your input. Thanks.

Inkeds-l1600 (15)_LI.jpg

·
Registered
205 Posts
The engine (or at least the valve cover) is from a newer car (likely a Fairmont or an early Fox Mustang). I believe that bracket was an attachment point for a smog part. The valve covers and the oil pans from any of that family of 144/170/200 engines had the same bolt pattern.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The engine (or at least the valve cover) is from a newer car (likely a Fairmont or an early Fox Mustang). I believe that bracket was an attachment point for a smog part. The valve covers and the oil pans from any of that family of 144/170/200 engines had the same bolt pattern.
Thanks John. I was in another forum and two other guys said the same thing. That is was from a newer engine. Mine is a '66 Mustang, so...hey, do you by chance know based on my pic, is the PCV installed correctly? I usually see them installed on the rear top of the valve cover, but I have a crankcase breather filter installed where the PCV usually is mounted. Do you know if it matters at all?

·
Registered
205 Posts
On that cover, yes. The oil fill/breather is towards the back on that cover. On the cover that is "correct" for your car, the PCV is towards the rear and the oil fill/breather is towards the front. Functionally it doesn't make a difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On that cover, yes. The oil fill/breather is towards the back on that cover. On the cover that is "correct" for your car, the PCV is towards the rear and the oil fill/breather is towards the front. Functionally it doesn't make a difference.
Thanks John. That's helpful.

·
Registered
205 Posts
You can check the head casting and/or the block casting numbers to see if the engine has been replaced. If it is a newer engine (or at least the head), you at least won't need to run lead substitute additive in the fuel, and also the newer "intake manifold" head castings are bigger around inside, so they do perform better than their predecessors.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can check the head casting and/or the block casting numbers to see if the engine has been replaced. If it is a newer engine (or at least the head), you at least won't need to run lead substitute additive in the fuel, and also the newer "intake manifold" head castings are bigger around inside, so they do perform better than their predecessors.
Where's that number located, John? I know there's a door tag, and I know where the VIN is in the engine wall, but on the engine, where's that located? I bought some lead additive a few days ago just in case I would need it. In addition, I have no idea how long that fuel has been in the tank so once I tune it up I want to ensure I've checked all the boxes I can. But yeah, please let me know where I find that number on a 200 CID.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The head casting number is on the "intake manifold" behind the carb. The intake manifold is a cast (non removable) part of the head. The block casting number is on the side of the engine block, I think it's on the right side, near the starter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The head casting number is on the "intake manifold" behind the carb. The intake manifold is a cast (non removable) part of the head. The block casting number is on the side of the engine block, I think it's on the right side, near the starter.
So those two numbers should match? I'll have a look tonight when I do my Friday night tinkering. Appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
205 Posts
There will be 2 different casting numbers, on the Ford's it will be a series of letters and numbers... 1 for the block, and 1 for the head. You can Google "Vintage Inlines", the "Classic Inlines" archives, (Vintage Inlines bought out Classic Inlines some time back) and you can also get a copy of "The Ford Falcon Performance Handbook", All 3 of these are a wealth of info on the Ford "small six".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts