Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a set of Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSC cams installed on my 06 GT a few days ago. According to Comp's web site, the cam install does not require a re-tune. However, after the install I hear a "swooshing" sound and the idle is rough. I previously installed a Steeda CAI with high flow inlet tube and TBS (the TSB looks good but no performance gain). I have an SCT hand held tuner that I used to load a Steeda high octane tune after the CAI install. I also have JBA Cat4ward shorty headers.

Should I get a new e-mail tune from Brenspeed or is it really necessary? Any ideas on the "swooshing" sound?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a set of Comp Cams XFI Stage 2 NSC cams installed on my 06 GT a few days ago. According to Comp's web site, the cam install does not require a re-tune. However, after the install I hear a "swooshing" sound and the idle is rough. I previously installed a Steeda CAI with high flow inlet tube and TBS (the TSB looks good but no performance gain). I have an SCT hand held tuner that I used to load a Steeda high octane tune after the CAI install. I also have JBA Cat4ward shorty headers.

Should I get a new e-mail tune from Brenspeed or is it really necessary? Any ideas on the "swooshing" sound?

Thanks!
The rough idle is normal, isn't that the reason you bought the cam? (Thats why I got mine)

It probably isn't critical to get a tune, but it would help out tremendously. Tunes from Brenspeed or Bamachips really enhance throttle response. You would definitely be happy with a better tune.

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
+1... Not 100% necessary but you won't realize the cam's full potential without the tune.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+1... Not 100% necessary but you won't realize the cam's full potential without the tune.
Thanks Stl.....any idea of what the swooshing sound is? It's almost like a sucking sound. It disappears when at idle. I only hear it when I put my foot on the gas pedal.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Thanks Stl.....any idea of what the swooshing sound is? It's almost like a sucking sound. It disappears when at idle. I only hear it when I put my foot on the gas pedal.
Vacuum leak?...............

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts

·
Premium Member
72,882 Posts
Do you have a cold air intake on there?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't forget that the cam changed how the engine is processing air. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Thanks....it's just annoying. I have a tune on order from Brenspeed. Do you think that the new tune will/may stop the noise?

·
Registered
286 Posts
My JLT CAI makes the shwooshing sound. maybe you didnt notice it until after the cams, but like StL said, i would give it much concern.

·
Shelby Gt 350 member
9,239 Posts
Should be "NSR" for "no springs required".
Gotcha, just making sure I was on the same page.

I agree with STL. When combining all sorts of aftermarket parts on the inlet side you will run into odd noises now and again. The spacer is a good bet though. If you remove it and the noise goes away but you want it on the car check to see if it’s perfectly port matched. A slight step or ridge can make all sorts of odd noises on the intake side. As odd as it sounds keep in mind that intake noise is almost as loud as exhaust noise in a lot of cases. That’s why the OEM airbox is so restricted. It has to be to pass EPA noise emissions. When you put a CAI on you are letting a lot of sounds that would normally be masked out.

You may still want to check for a vacuum leak though. It’s easy as pie. Start the motor and just spray hoses, fittings, mating surfaces, etc with carb cleaner or starting fluid (you don’t need to hose it down). If the motor changes RPM’s when you spray a specific spot you just found a leak. I’m leaning toward vacuum leak a bit because you mentioned that the idle is rough. Your cams have a 115.5 LSA which is very conservative so they shouldn’t cause the car to have a noticeably choppy idle. Which leaves vacuum leak or horribly degreed cams.

I don’t see CMRC (or whatever the letters are for them) plates I your sig. Do you have those? I’m guessing you do. The combination of those, the spacer and your cams which have a LOT more duration than the stock ones can be making all sorts of strange noises.

If it makes you feel ay better back in the day I had a 347 with a pretty big cam, the original GT-40 intake (the non cast one), 75mm TB, 77mm mass air and a big filter of some sort. At the time all that stuff was brand new and cutting edge. The combination made an incredibly loud intake whistle that drove me insane. It sounded like there was a pissed off Football Coach under the hood. I checked everything and even went as far as to perfectly port match every component all the way too the intake ports. I never got rid of the noise……….until I yanked all of that stuff off and replaced it with a Victor jr., and Barry Grant.:D

Good luck.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
580 Posts
Don't forget that the cam changed how the engine is processing air. I don't think you have anything to worry about.
If you have not changed the tune since the cam install then you should be fine. You did not mention if you had a dyno tune previously. I would trust the dyno-tune over anything sent by mail. Brenspeed is good but if someone has mapped the MAF tranfer in person, that should be good for NSR cams. If you had a canned tune before, try the one from Brenspeed, you might get surprised.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Mine always had the noise somewhat after the CAI and tune but got louder with the cams, CMP deletes and Brenspeed tune. Sucking more air now would be my guess. It sounds somewhat like a carb'd motor with a four barrell and no air filter at wot.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.