Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I recently purchased this 93 hatchback. It's already had the five lug disk brake conversion. I've noticed a "roaring" in the driver front. Am I able to walk into Advance Auto and just ask for a 93 hatchback front wheel bearing? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
If it used the same spindles, then the answer is yes. Worse comes to worse, take the bearings out as a referance and take them to the parts store in a friends car.

What vehicle did you get the 5-lug rotors off of?

Steve:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
It depends on which setup was used up front.

If it was 5.0 spindles and Mark VII / SVO rotors, those bearings are different than the 2.3 bearings.

If they used Ranger rotors, use 2.3 Mustang bearings, and Ranger inner wheel seals.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sure what they used. I asked the guy I bought it from and he said it was done already when he got it. I suppose I'll take it apart and carry the parts to the parts store. Safest way I know to do it.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Actually, one quick way to check is the wear pattern on the rotor.

The Ranger rotor is bigger than the 4cyl Mustang rotor by about a 1/4" or so. It'll still fit under the caliper for the most part, but the calipers still locate the pads in the original position. This leaves an unused ring around the outside of the rotor on the braking surface about 1/4" to 3/8" wide.

If the Lincoln/SVO brakes were used, the rotor and caliper placement is normal so the braking surface should show wear all the way out to the outside.

If it has the SN95 setup, life just got easier, although not cheaper. The hub and rotor are separate, and the bearings are sealed. You simply buy a new hub and hub nut and replace the old ones, put your brakes back together and go get a beer.

Can you post pics of what you've got? We might be able to figure it out before you head to the parts store.

Also, if you've got the older bearing-in-rotor style brakes, grab the numbers off the bearings. That'll tell you what you've got.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, one quick way to check is the wear pattern on the rotor.

The Ranger rotor is bigger than the 4cyl Mustang rotor by about a 1/4" or so. It'll still fit under the caliper for the most part, but the calipers still locate the pads in the original position. This leaves an unused ring around the outside of the rotor on the braking surface about 1/4" to 3/8" wide.

If the Lincoln/SVO brakes were used, the rotor and caliper placement is normal so the braking surface should show wear all the way out to the outside.

If it has the SN95 setup, life just got easier, although not cheaper. The hub and rotor are separate, and the bearings are sealed. You simply buy a new hub and hub nut and replace the old ones, put your brakes back together and go get a beer.

Can you post pics of what you've got? We might be able to figure it out before you head to the parts store.

Also, if you've got the older bearing-in-rotor style brakes, grab the numbers off the bearings. That'll tell you what you've got.
Thanks Chandler.
I'll probably pull the wheel Wed or Thur. Right now, I've got the interior gutted for a good cleaning. Seems the more I do, the more I find that needs to be done. LOL. I guess it's the same with any project.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Thanks Chandler.
I'll probably pull the wheel Wed or Thur. Right now, I've got the interior gutted for a good cleaning. Seems the more I do, the more I find that needs to be done. LOL. I guess it's the same with any project.
LOL! You know it buddy. Anyway you go about a true restoration project is to blow it all apart the first time, rebuild it right, and put it back together once. Ask me how many times I have taken apart and put together some parts of my car!

Steve:bigthumbsup

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.