Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get a locking gas cap pretty soon but one of the sales clerk at a local parts store said he installed one on his dodge and the check engine light came on.

How would you make the check engine light turn off if this happens?:headscratch:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ha, a locking gas cap couldnt possibly do that unless it had something to do w. and evap code or something. My best advice would be to get a Mustang specific cap from AmericanMuscle and slap it on there.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I want to get a locking gas cap pretty soon but one of the sales clerk at a local parts store said he installed one on his dodge and the check engine light came on.

How would you make the check engine light turn off if this happens?:headscratch:
Aftermarket gas caps can cause your CEL to come on. They do have a Ford specific locking gas cap you can get.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Some just aren't sealed correctly, my check engine light came on, the computer said it was the gas cap. I replaced it with an aftermarket one, and the computer still said it was loose. I came to find out, after running the codes, it was an EVAP leak coming from the charcoal canister..it was cracked. I sealed up the crack, and CEL gone!

Main point, you should really use factory caps, not all aftermarket caps will work.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I heard from various sources that a "stant" locking gas cap with a product number of "10510" should work on s197's.

can anyone confirm if that specific one works?

G

·
I bought the STANT 11510 (same as 10510, different packaging). It's been on my 06GT for 2 1/2 years and not 1 CEL thrown. RockAuto.com $12.61 back then (most likely about the same still).

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
That is very ture about the loose cap causing the problem. I thought Ford came out with one for our car.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I'm glad to hear the results, because I just ordered a stant gas cap yesterday! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have had the Stant Cap for 8 months or so and I have had no problems. I saw a Ford locking cap somewhere but cant remeber who was selling it. If you look hard enough Im sure you can find it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I bought the STANT 11510 (same as 10510, different packaging). It's been on my 06GT for 2 1/2 years and not 1 CEL thrown. RockAuto.com $12.61 back then (most likely about the same still).
Thanks for the tip... I'm looking to order one too!

What is the difference between 10510 and 11510?

different package?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I have the Motorcraft locking gas cap, works fine without issues, don't have the part number handy but it works on a couple of Ford cars.

·
Registered
12,664 Posts
+1 rock auto is the way to go. 2 years and no problems

·
Registered
786 Posts
An option is the locking fuel door instead. Same security, but no chance of mech failure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.