Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I tried a skip shift, after reading about how the 11-12 mustangs had skip shift built in. It worked great smoothest shift I've ever had, just went a little above 4000 rpm in first and shifted to fourth with rev matching, much easier then rowing through the gears.

But I've read that this might wear out the synchro's faster, than rowing through the gears. Some people say you have to double clutch, others say go through the gears with the clutch disengaged, and others say you shouldn't skip shift at all.

So my question is with rev matching is it okay to skip a gear or two. It makes driving allot easier, when I'm not trying to break the sound barrier, And I'd like to keep doing it if it doesn't hurt the synchro's.

·
Registered
93 Posts
No it won't, if your grinding the gears that will, I skip gears in my semi when I'm empty all the time and have over a million miles with no problems. You don't have to Rev to 4000 rpm's, just don't shift to soon.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I dont think skip shift will cause any transmission problems, but it is definately no good for the engine. The first time I encountered it the transmission was forced to go into 4th at such low RPM that I could literally hear and feel the main bearings in my engine getting pounded as the engine was forced to lug at very low RPM. I said to myself what the F. This has got to be the most rediculous thing ever put on a car. Needless to say, I had it tuned out right away. Or i would have been under the car immediately, disconnecting the solenoid for it.
Hair brained ?... can you say, skip shift.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 2013 so its not built into my car, and I'm not lugging the engine. Thanks for the replies. I couldn't imagine that a shift that felt so clean and easy could do harm, but its nice to have that confirmed.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Skipping gears and lugging are two different things. Skipping gears where appropriate will not hurt a thing.

·
Registered
270 Posts
1-3-5 around town all the time.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Skipping gears and lugging are two different things. Skipping gears where appropriate will not hurt a thing.
Exactly. And the key words here are "where appropriate"

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used to skip gears in my '84 944 all the time. :gringreen I'm sure the Mustang will be fine. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
250 Posts
I skip shift too, where appropriate as the others have said. No issues here, so you should be fine.

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
The first time I encountered it the transmission was forced to go into 4th at such low RPM that I could literally hear and feel the main bearings in my engine getting pounded as the engine was forced to lug at very low RPM.

That "KRR-KRR-KRR-KRR-KRR-KRR" sound...........ACK! It's like nails on a chalkboard.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I do a lot of 5 to 2 in my 2013 a lot. Will this hurt? There are a lot of places where I may be going about 40 mph in 5th gear and I make a turn. So I will go from 5th to 2nd to slow down to make the turn.

·
Registered
487 Posts
That "KRR-KRR-KRR-KRR-KRR-KRR" sound...........ACK! It's like nails on a chalkboard.
I don't think that's the main bearings. As long as you have oil in your motor you should NEVER hear your bearings making any noise. My car makes that noise in 1st even going slow uphill, its drive train noise you're describing, cuz if that was mains they'd be scored and ruined lol

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I don't think that's the main bearings. As long as you have oil in your motor you should NEVER hear your bearings making any noise. My car makes that noise in 1st even going slow uphill, its drive train noise you're describing, cuz if that was mains they'd be scored and ruined lol
The noise described by the other person may not have been main bearing noise. But you sure can hear the crankshaft rattling and you sure can hurt the main bearings regardless of whether or not you have oil in the motor if the conditions are right. I was not aware that the skip shift feature designed into the 11-12 models was removed on the 13's . But it makes perfect sense. I as many others here often skip shifts at the appropriate
RPM levels which is harmless. But the skip shift feature that was weak mindedly engineered into 11-12 models will hurt your bearings, regardless of how full the oil pan is. That is probably why they decided to take it out in the 13's, or at least thats why they should have taken it out. I sure took it out of my 11.ASAP.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
The noise described by the other person may not have been main bearing noise. But you sure can hear the crankshaft rattling and you sure can hurt the main bearings regardless of whether or not you have oil in the motor if the conditions are right. I was not aware that the skip shift feature designed into the 11-12 models was removed on the 13's . But it makes perfect sense. I as many others here often skip shifts at the appropriate
RPM levels which is harmless. But the skip shift feature that was weak mindedly engineered into 11-12 models will hurt your bearings, regardless of how full the oil pan is. That is probably why they decided to take it out in the 13's, or at least thats why they should have taken it out. I sure took it out of my 11.ASAP.
So glad the sixxers don't have this "feature"

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
3,124 Posts
Just the sound of an engine being lugged. I know if spin a bearing or something of the nature, you're already screwed. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
I do a lot of 5 to 2 in my 2013 a lot. Will this hurt?
If you're making a good, clean shift and not lugging the engine before the downshift, it won't hurt a thing.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts