Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm going to replace my rear end gears, but I don't even know if I have a limited slip (posi) rear end on my 96 GT. It would seem silly to build a performance oriented car without such, but hell, they also put 2.73's or something ridiculous like that in there from the factory. It seems that when I light the tires (tire) up, only my right side is spinning. I fully understand the advantages of changing my rear end gearing (hmmm, 3.55's or 3.73's...), but if I'm not working with posi, then I'll just be re-gearing an inferior design.

So what's the spec on my stock rear end? Limited Slip or Open Carrier (1 wheel drive)?

·
Registered
818 Posts
no you don't have a limited slip dif...if your only spinning one side..then there is something else going on w/ your rear end....but you can always put one in now that yours is bad.

·
Registered
818 Posts
no both your wheels should spin at 100%...limited slip transfers the power between the wheels when it feels traction loss...like one will be 75% and the other 25%...i thought you said only one of your wheels is spinning now??

·
Registered
818 Posts
you have a posi...100% power to both wheels...limited slip...trasfers the power between wheels...just depending on witch one it feels slipping....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok...

motortrend.com says that the 96 GT came with a mechanical limited slip differential. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I'd feel much better about replacing gears in a LSD than an open carrier differential.

·
Registered
818 Posts
no both your wheels should spin at 100%...limited slip transfers the power between the wheels when it feels traction loss...like one will be 75% and the other 25%...i thought you said only one of your wheels is spinning now??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As far as I learned, limited slip and posi are the same thing (posi, or positraction, is merely a GM brand name from back in the muscle car heyday). If I was getting 100% power to both wheels at all times, I'd have a locker. Right?

·
Registered
100 Posts
you have lsd, thats what i have it goes into posi it goes out, it just depends. when i put it in reverse roll back a foot stop then put it in first it goes posi try that to see if it is, or put it in second then powerbrake it and see if you leave 2 marks. i left one today about 60ft long

·
Registered
818 Posts
im trying to find info now on the rear end specs and what type we have...the only thing i can find so far was an article saying the 96 cobra had the option of upgrading to limited slip...but I will let ya know once I find something out.

·
Registered
818 Posts
but i don't see why if you could get it on the cobra why you could not get it on the gt.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
There are a lot of things you can get in a cobra that you can't in a GT, otherwise they would be the same cars. As far as powerbreaking, if you have rear disc brakes, DO NOT do this on a manual trans, it is hell on the clutch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Question answered

Ok, this forum is great and all, but sometimes you just gotta get your ass in the driver's seat and do **** the old fashioned way. I just went out around my neighborhood for a little burnout fest, and I left twin stripes every time I dropped the clutch. Limited slip positraction indeed. Hooray. Now I feel much better about swapping out some rear gears.

So what's the word on 3.55's versus 3.73's? I know most people go with the latter, but I bet that my ass end will be all over the place with that ratio. Not that that's a bad thing...

Is there any discernable fuel economy difference between the two? What are all y'all running, and how do you like your setups?

Posi rules.

Pete
96 GT 'Vert

·
Registered
818 Posts
that's 2 funny dude...def go w/ the 3:73 gears...also go w/ motive gears...there a bit stronger than frp gears are...also get the motive rebuild kit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.