Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it matter what type of oil you fill the engine with, honestly?

Should I spend the money to get the high pricey stuff or go with the baseline? Synthetic or not?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
i run Royal Purple and have never looked back. My engin seemed to run smoother and slightly more powerfully when I switched to synthetic.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have heard a few SN95 owners saying that they never felt the difference, but i am under the impression that it is due to the heavier car. Basically I have heard that until you get considerable more power,you wont feel it. But I dont know, Ive never even driven an SN95.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I use castrol syntec part synthetic.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I used synthetic until my 2nd rebuild in a yr. Then I realized the motor was just cursed and would never last long enough to actually get benefits from synthetic...

Lol

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
i like quaker state peak performance. i ran that in my ranger and it ran a little cooler over all, and i run the quaker state higher mileage in the stang.
i also believe that you get what you pay for. thats why i buy mostly dealer parts.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
Synthetics benefits come at the Temperature extremes, they flow better when cold and resist breakdown when hot. If you change it every 3000 Miles, honestly any Quality Oil will work, just personal choice.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I use Castrol Syntec full synthetic. I've never had anything as nice as my car so I figure I'll treat her like my wife, best of everything. I'm not looking for performance, just the best lubrication on the moving parts. Besides, from what I understand, you can go a little longer between oil changes with full synthetic, so that's a consideration.

G

·
Larry Sergent said:
I use Castrol Syntec full synthetic. I've never had anything as nice as my car so I figure I'll treat her like my wife, best of everything. I'm not looking for performance, just the best lubrication on the moving parts. Besides, from what I understand, you can go a little longer between oil changes with full synthetic, so that's a consideration.
Speaking of which, has anyone tried or noticed a difference with that mobil extended life stuff. I tried it last oil change and it didn't seem to last any longer than the basic castrol.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have put thought into this and if you're engine is still relatively young and unbeaten, perhaps putting in the pricey oil will indeed keep her running well, but after a certain point I guess just the baseline is all you need.

·
Registered
60 Posts
From Mobil's web site:

What makes synthetic oil superior to conventional oil?
Historically, conventional oils lack the performance of synthetic oils in the areas of low-temperature performance and high-temperature oxidation stability. Conventional motor oil is made up of an inconsistent mixture of long and short chains of carbon and hydrogen atoms. In the extreme heat of an engine, short-chain molecules can evaporate, and unstable molecules can oxidize and break down. Conventional oils also contain much greater amounts of impurities, such as sulfur, reactive and unstable hydrocarbons, and other undesirable contaminants that cannot be completely removed by conventional refining of crude oil.

Mobil 1 uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance viscosity grade use a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

I use full synthetic in mine and my wife's cars for two reasons, (1) to help the engine last longer (although Hondas don't need a lot of help), and (2) longer periods between oil changes. I go 4-5K between changes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Valvoline my 5.0s drink of choice... drink because thats what it has a habit of doing(fixing soon heh). I ran mobil 1 in my steed for a couple changes this last year for a total of 4k miles. I noticed that it DID run slightly cooler, but only on the hottest days. IMHO its not worth it unless its an extreme/very high performance application.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I read an article once where they took 100 NYC taxi cabs, blueprinted all the motors, then ran some 3k miles with regular, some 3k with synthetic, some 6k with regular, some 6k with synthetic between changes. They allegedly ran all 100 vehicles for 100,000 miles this way. Then they tore down the motors and measured everything again. End result: There was no appreciable difference in wear of moving parts in any of the vehicles involved in the test. They did notice that the vehicles running synthetic got very slightly better gas mileage overall. In other words, its the oil companies and the oil change places pushing oil changes every 3k. Article went on to say that the most important thing is a quality oil filter. There is a HUGE difference between filters- try cutting the one you take off apart and compare a fram to an FL1a- FL1a is a kickass filter!

Still I feel like I need to put a disclaimer in this post...whatever breaks dont blame me!

·
Registered
103 Posts
I work out of state a lot, and travel back and forth.

There's a van shuttle service that runs from the airport
to my home area, about 150 mi one way. While on one job,
I ended up riding with the same guy much of the time.

Of course, they keep their conversion vans spotless
and in mint condition, but they do put on tons of miles.

I thought the one I was riding in was pretty new, but
the owner said it was (I forget exactly, but) several
years older than I would have guessed.

He swore up and down that he was over 450,000 miles
on his Ford which had never "had the valve covers off",
although he admitted it was getting "tired."
Of course, they're all highway miles and are never
abused, but all the dozen plus van owners in that
service (besides all using Fords :)) religiously convert
ALL their fluids to synthetic just after break-in.

However, I used to own a small over the road truck
co, and we used Shell Rotella. Our rigs were worked
hard but well maintained. They all went around 650,000
pulling mostly 80,000 lbs at well over 80 mph. However,
that was before synthetics were widely available for
big rigs. Now, many fleets use synthetics in all
compartments, incl differentials and transmissions,
and they do this for the extra service life they get
out of them. Those are EXPENSIVE setups to
replace, so they try to make them last as long
as possible. They also get up to 10% better fuel
economy with synthetic, and at ~5mpg and todays
prices, it pays them back in a hurry.

I've had one 5.0 that I ran a lot of high speed long
road trips plus not babying it around home that
was still running good at 225,000 (I bought it
and switched to Mob 1 at 105,000).

I can't afford frequent rebuilds, or new vehicles,
so use Mob 1. I'm very happy with the results.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.