Ford Mustang Forum banner

Does using an expensive oil make a difference ?

1598 Views 15 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  macx
Does it matter what type of oil you fill the engine with, honestly?

Should I spend the money to get the high pricey stuff or go with the baseline? Synthetic or not?
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 16 Posts
I read an article once where they took 100 NYC taxi cabs, blueprinted all the motors, then ran some 3k miles with regular, some 3k with synthetic, some 6k with regular, some 6k with synthetic between changes. They allegedly ran all 100 vehicles for 100,000 miles this way. Then they tore down the motors and measured everything again. End result: There was no appreciable difference in wear of moving parts in any of the vehicles involved in the test. They did notice that the vehicles running synthetic got very slightly better gas mileage overall. In other words, its the oil companies and the oil change places pushing oil changes every 3k. Article went on to say that the most important thing is a quality oil filter. There is a HUGE difference between filters- try cutting the one you take off apart and compare a fram to an FL1a- FL1a is a kickass filter!

Still I feel like I need to put a disclaimer in this post...whatever breaks dont blame me!
1 - 1 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.