Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a month old and when I store it in the garage overnight it stinks like a bugger. Its a rubbery asphalt type of smell. The fumes are almost unbearable. I'm hoping it will go away at some point. I know most new cars have the new car smell but this is in another league. I'm thinking of renaming it from Angie to Stinkie.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Is there a possibility that something is being rubbed/ warped under the car?? I hope not, but was just saying for a new vehicle to smell like that is kinda weird.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Is there a possibility that something is being rubbed/ warped under the car?? I hope not, but was just saying for a new vehicle to smell like that is kinda weird.

I agree. Sounds like something is overheating. I'd check the tranny fluid. Also, you could try to place a bowl of vinegar in the floor board over night to see if that helps. I spilled gas in the foor of my explorer one day (don't ask) and someone told me to do that and it worked. You really need to get under the car to see what's going on.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
had her up on a hoist to see if something was leaking, looks pretty good except for the rusty differential but thats another story..

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree. Sounds like something is overheating. I'd check the tranny fluid. Also, you could try to place a bowl of vinegar in the floor board over night to see if that helps. I spilled gas in the foor of my explorer one day (don't ask) and someone told me to do that and it worked. You really need to get under the car to see what's going on.
this brings up a good point about the tranny fliud. ford designed it without a traditional dipstick--its accessed from the bottom and supposed to be changed at 200k+...never came across something this before.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I was thinking about how you described the smell and leads me to wonder if you've driven through any areas where there was road work taking place. I have this happend before. I had to drive though about a 1/8th mile section of the road that they were repaving and my car had that tar smell for a day or two until it wore off. Could this be your issue?

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's obviously the tires. You haven't shredded them enough. :)

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
My car smells like burnt rubber for two or three days after I go to the track. Not inside the car, but I can smell it walking up to it.

·
Banned
612 Posts
It's better to smell like rubber and asphalt than a can of smashed assholes.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mine almost always reeks of rubber from the outside. I blame the softy Pirelli tires.

·
Registered
269 Posts
My car has 20K on it and it does have a stench that comes and goes. Mine is a 6-speed.

It could be fungus in the AC.

·
Registered
43 Posts
2012.. The only smells besides new car is from the couple of times I hit 5 Guys and they overloaded the togo bag with fries.

5 guys fry smells lasts for 2 days. It goes away,,

Otherwise.

no stink.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That kind of smell during break in is pretty normal. Smells exactly like you described, and should be gone after a few hundred miles. If it's in an enclosed space like a garage that could possibly be intensifying the smell and making you think it's worse than it is... just speculating here...:yup:

·
Registered
115 Posts
2012.. The only smells besides new car is from the couple of times I hit 5 Guys and they overloaded the togo bag with fries.

5 guys fry smells lasts for 2 days. It goes away,,

Otherwise.

no stink.
And now I'm going to Five Guys for dinner. Freaking tasty!

·
Registered
526 Posts
In this thread;
My 2011 5.0 Caught Fire while I was driving it - MustangForums.com

The owner said she smelled something and took it to the dealer before her car burned down. Now she;s in a 3+ month old fight with ford and her insurance company.

If I was the op, I'd be taking a real close look under the hood and getting it to the dealer to get it looked at.

I'd disconnect the battery when i parked it until I figured out what was causing the smell. If not that, I'd park it outside so the house doesnt burn down if it catches fire.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts