Ford Mustang Forum banner

Does your exhaust setup drone?

4K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  Mustang_Fan 
#1 ·
And are you happy with it? What would you change it out with?

Basically looking for different opinions and people's exhaust setups. Sounds like almost every exhaust setup I read about has some drone which I want to avoid.

#2 ·
Magnaflow O/R X-Pipe and Hushpower axle back.

It droned like crazy at 2k when I first put it all on, but now that it's been on the car for a couple thousand miles, it doesn't drone at all anymore. Only thing I might change it out for would be a complete Kooks full system with longtubes.

#3 ·
My current, which is Flowmaster's Force II axle-back, has no drone in my 100% stock 2011 GT 6-speed manual 3.73 car. It sounds at least as quiet as stock inside with the windows up. With them down, there is a medium rumble- just enough for that classic Flowmaster sound.
The Hushpower axle back had a very minor drone at 1800-1900- what I would consider a complete non-issue, and the American Thunder (yes, I've run them all!:D) had a pretty noticeable drone- although WAY less than my old BMW with custom exhaust.

#5 ·
i have a slight drone only on cold startup. After car warms up it does not drone at all at any rpm or engine load.

#7 ·
Started with Flowmaster American Thunders - Drone was horrible. Switched to GT500's and I have no drone at all. Best thing around IMO.

#10 ·
I have Corsa extremes. Wouldnt trade them for anything. I have absolutely no drone. At idle they sound stock. At cruise they sound nice. During acceleration they sound great. At wide open throttle they sound awsome. The tips look fantastic.

And no... i am not working or selling for Corsa. I just got my money's worth when I bought them.:winks

#11 ·
So it looks like the Flowmaster ForceII, GT500, and Roush have no drone while the hushpowers have a little bit.

I have a lethal performance off road x pipe I need to install and want an axleback that is slightly louder with no drone. The GT500 are out of stock.

Are the Roush quiet enough for daily driving? I heard they are quite loud. The ForceII never heard of it until today and unfortunately cant find any sound clips. The hushpowers sound good but I do hate anything that drones and im sure the x pipe will only amplify it.

#12 ·
Roush AB, no drone, like the others said, quiet at cruise, loud at WOT. Also louder than you'd think at startup when it high idles for the first little bit.

Two other plusses, 25lb weight reduction for the pair and the back of the car looks so much better without the huge factory mufflers hanging down.

#15 ·
Borla S-Types... no drone, just sweet, sweet thunder :D

#17 ·
I second that! Just had them on for 3 weeks and already got tons of compliments. Just this afternoon some guy said to me, I quote "that car sounds awesome!"

#18 ·
I have the Atak axle backs - they sound awesome - I have heard many different axle back set-ups in person - It is the best IMOA

I have also heard bothe the S and Atak with an off road pipe. It just sounds nasty. It is beyond race car loud and at RPM's below 2500 the car sounds like an old car without a muffler.

It seems the O/R pipe guys pich the GT500 as the muffler of choice.

I am in agreement but I have only heard two cars with this set-up.

#20 ·
I have run....

Flowmaster American Thunder AB's W/ Cats - Decent sound, almost no drone. Not annoying.

Same setup as above with ORX/no cats. Annoyingly loud and tons of drone. Knock your teeth out drone.

ORX and stock mufflers - Pretty good sound. No drone.

ORX and GT500 mufflers - Great sound NO drone.

Current setup - Stock cats and GT500 mufflers. The problem I had with the ORX was a cold start rattle and I hated the hissing sound this car makes with no cats, especially when cold. The power from no cats is great, the sound at times is junk. Ideally I would have liked to keep the ORX, but I couldn't get over the crap sound at cold start.

#21 ·
And are you happy with it? What would you change it out with?

Basically looking for different opinions and people's exhaust setups. Sounds like almost every exhaust setup I read about has some drone which I want to avoid.
Thanks for starting this thread! I agree with you 100% about the drone, and want better sound but drone is a :nono:

Like the sound of the Borla's so far from what I've heard on youtube, but now will look into the GT500 takeoff mufflers.

#22 ·
Hallowed out cats, BBK after cat x-pipe, custom muffler delete...unless you're 5 feet from the car you can't hear it idle. Cold start is loud. Light acceleration is gorgeous. WOT it screams. 3.73's and no drone on the highway. Total cost of exhaust $200. That beats any Roush, Borla, Flowmaster, or Magnaflow out there. I will be doing 3" from the x-pipe back and putting generic Summit glasspacks in after I put long tubes on it this fall.

#23 ·
I had the BBR off OR/X with the GT 500 mufflers and thought it was load and obnoxious. There was some drone but it was not that bad. I'm currently running the BBR X with the stock mufflers and its not bad. It does have a minor drone between 1800 & 2k; not terrible but it annoys me. I'm gonna try the GT500 mufflers with the stock cats to see if that will work for me. If I still hate it, it means I'm getting old.

#25 ·
Probably gonna go with the GT500 once they stock back up. Only case with an off road pipe where people report no droning although some are still reporting the drone with this setup. Want to eventually go supercharged so gotta get rid of the cats at some point heard they melt around 450whp

#27 ·
roush axel backs and steeda CAI. no drone. and can hear the CAI sucking in the air.

sounds so mean underneath a bridge. deff loud tho. But im 24 and I like it. Sounds like a real muscle car.

when cruising around 1500-2k, you wouldnt know i had roush axelbacks. But when you step on it from 3k-above... then you know i have em. :)

#28 ·
Borla S Type axle backs, no other mods... Yet! No drone at all, it is pretty loud though:)

#31 ·
I have the hush power and lethal o/r xpipe.... after adding the s/c .... it is too loud and it does drone a lot....I'm already researching a new axelback.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.