Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 2011 GT yesterday and I love it...will post more about it tomorrow when I'm not so tired. However I have a big black lab who likes to jump on cars. He has already scratched the hell out of my 2004 Mustang. Even though I bash his paws with my fist and yell at him when he jumps in the window or on the car he still does it every single time I pull in the driveway, but hes just too dumb to get the point that he isn't supposed to jump on cars. So tonight I just pulled in my driveway and opened my door the second I parked so he would at least jump on me instead of the car. Instead he decided to jump on the passenger side door and now I have 2 big white scratches on my new black Mustang. :sigh: Does anyone else have this problem? How do I fix it? And how can I get the scratches off? I'm so pissed off.....

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Contain the dog in the backyard, clip his nails, get a shock collar, so if he approaches the car you shock him. Find him a new home, duct tape his paws.

lol

Try to teach him anything associated with the car is BAD.....

·
Registered
325 Posts
I picked up my 2011 GT yesterday and I love it...will post more about it tomorrow when I'm not so tired. However I have a big black lab who likes to jump on cars. He has already scratched the hell out of my 2004 Mustang. Even though I bash his paws with my fist and yell at him when he jumps in the window or on the car he still does it every single time I pull in the driveway, but hes just too dumb to get the point that he isn't supposed to jump on cars. So tonight I just pulled in my driveway and opened my door the second I parked so he would at least jump on me instead of the car. Instead he decided to jump on the passenger side door and now I have 2 big white scratches on my new black Mustang. :sigh: Does anyone else have this problem? How do I fix it? And how can I get the scratches off? I'm so pissed off.....
We have 8 dogs, some very large. Great Pyrenees, 2 Great Danes, German Shepherd, Siberian Husky, Bloodhound, GSD mix and a Papillion (wife's dog). We have 2 new Mustangs to contend with all these dogs and they go nowhere near the cars. 1st, boundries for your dog is a good thing - invest some fencing and keep your dog in there and let him/her out only when it works for you. 2nd, some training is is order and not the wrath of God pound your dog into submission training (this reminds me of the saying "The beatings will continue until morale improves"). Dogs cannot reason like humans and don't treat them as such. You need to use positive reinforcement when training the dog. Put him/her on a leash and teach them to sit and stay -give them treats when the comply. Anytime the dog jumps on you or another person, refuse to give your dog any attention or put him/her in a pen/crate for a time out. Remember you are dealing with a being that has a brain the size of a small apple so don't expect too much. I am trying to be kind, the dog is not the stupid one - get him some training or find him/her a good home. Sorry about the scratches, if they are not through to the base coat find someone to buff it out.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Contain the dog in the backyard, clip his nails, get a shock collar, so if he approaches the car you shock him. Find him a new home, duct tape his paws.

lol

Try to teach him anything associated with the car is BAD.....
This guy barbeque's his dogs.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
ive got a golden retreaver that used to chase me and knock me off my motorcycle when id ride it. well, he did that until i scared the living crap out of him when i chased him all the way to the front door on the bike at like 25mph. now he runs inside when he hears me start it. just make him afraid of the car.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Personally, I think that the best way to keep a dog from jumping on things is to stick out your knee when they try and jump on you. (should help with the car too) I know it sounds cruel, but my dog used to jump up on everyone and everything, I stuck out my knee two times and he hasn't jumped on anything since (at least 7 years). It doesn't hurt them much, I think it is mainly the surprise that when they jumped on something, they landed on their chest. My dog is also a black lab.

·
Registered
51 Posts
To say that I am quite troubled by most of these responses would be a gross understatement. (Except for FORDMOPAR70's. Kudos to you.)

Your dog would most likely die for you, but he is a DOG - you expect him to immediately understand how much value you place in an inanimate object?! Dogs almost instinctively understand when it's bad to attack a living being that's close to you - say, a baby, or even a cat. A car? Not so much. Your dog might be able to teach you something about the important things in life.

Try to find a trainer who specializes in positive reinforcement. You can also try to find some nontoxic chemical products that repel the dog but also don't damage your car.

As a "last" resort, you might think about how the car is just glass and steel. In a dark alley, who's got your back? My bet would not be on the Mustang.

Prioritize.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok seriously all of your responses are rediculous except for Riley and Badfish. I mean really? Positive reinforcement my ass...some people treat their dogs better than people. At the same time I am not mean to my dog and he is very spoiled. I am only what some would consider to be mean to him when he jumps on my cars. I've tried the knee thing and that still doesn't work when it comes to jumping on people. I'm going to go with the shock collar. Oh and 2011CS, dude you have issues if you were serious....I really hope not.

·
Banned
1,784 Posts
Ok seriously all of your responses are rediculous except for Riley and Badfish. I mean really? Positive reinforcement my ass...some people treat their dogs better than people. At the same time I am not mean to my dog and he is very spoiled. I am only what some would consider to be mean to him when he jumps on my cars. I've tried the knee thing and that still doesn't work when it comes to jumping on people. I'm going to go with the shock collar. Oh and 2011CS, dude you have issues if you were serious....I really hope not.
It appears to me that you know nothing about how dogs are trained.

look at the way they train police dogs, its all positive reinforcement. if the dog does what the trainer wants the dog to do, then the dog gets rewarded. obviously it works very well, because i dont see very many police dogs disobeying their owner. and how do i know all this? because my dad is an ex dog officer (now a sargeant) on the providence police department and he had to go for 6 weeks for training with the dog. on the last week, the officers family were brought down to the facility for their own training about having the dog at home. apparently positive reinforcement worked well because not once in the dogs life did he EVER disobey a command.

i also dont understand what positive reinforcement has to do with some people treating their dogs better than other people. there completely unrelated. in no way are you abusing or being mean to your dog while training him/her.

i think the dog just needs to learn not to jump on the car and positive reinforcement is the way to go. if you really dont want the dog to jump on the car without positive reinforcement or being mean, then dont let him/her outside when your not home. if the dog isnt outside when you pull into your driveway, then how can the dog jump on the car? another thing you could try is having an invisible fence installed, but have the wires run around the driveway so that the dog cant step on the pavement again without getting shocked. eventually it will learn not to go onto the driveway anymore unless you guide it on a leash.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Shock collar is good. My bro's Sheppard used to run off when he would see a squirel. Not anymore :winks

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Lots of dog lovers here (and that is not a bad thing)

Good for you guys.

I however am not an animal lover...lll

My brother dropped a chow with his 9mm right in his front yard (he is ex special forces-one shot one kill) and buried it in his back yard. (this after the dog had growled and snapped at him and his children and he had called the pound on it several times ((they never seemed to be able to catch it))..

According to him...when it set foot on his property..it was "his dog" at that point.:nono:

And i thought the story was funny.....

I know that is an extreme but you have to realize..not everyone is a dog lover. I appreciate a beautiful dog...i bought this amazing yellow lab for my sons and he has been a great dog for them.

However for a lot of people a dog shouldnt be worth having to deal with destruction of property of being growled and snapped at over.

Even the best dog owners have stories of chewed up couches, peed on rugs or scratched up cars.

LOL..try not to be too disturbed if those of us who have decided its not worth it have some extreme (but funny) answers.

I am considering building a full rear yard privacy fense..... if you did that the dog would still have AMPLE roaming ground in a fence and you could let him out after you had put your car in the garage??

·
Registered
325 Posts
Lots of dog lovers here (and that is not a bad thing)

Good for you guys.

I however am not an animal lover...lll

My brother dropped a chow with his 9mm right in his front yard (he is ex special forces-one shot one kill) and buried it in his back yard. (this after the dog had growled and snapped at him and his children and he had called the pound on it several times ((they never seemed to be able to catch it))..

According to him...when it set foot on his property..it was "his dog" at that point.:nono:
The point of this story is.....??? He should shoot his dog? I know this is not what your intent was, but really. Where does a guy putting a bullet into a dog help with the OP situation. If he was going to do what your brother did then I am pretty sure he wouldn't ask for help. Your anecdote is just another incident of a dog failed by his/her owner. I am amazed at the level of ignorance of some dog "owners". Again, dogs require boundries and training. The chow in your story, obviously, had neither of them. Protection of family is first and foremost and if the dog was just wandering around with no one really to take care of it and it became feral then having it put down is a reasonable option. Just too bad it had to go down that way and hopefully the kids were not around to see it happen.
The fence is a good suggestion, but I am still lost over the chow incident:headscratch:.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Cats are worse, they crawl and slide down your hood w/ their claws out. This happened to a BMW I had. That cat used up it's 9 lives quickly by the owner … f-ing useless.
My labs never jumped on people or cars thank god. My male lab will (guaranteed) pee on your tires though. He gets every vehicle that comes through the gates. LOL sorry to hear about the new ride. I can just picture that ole' lab w/ the paws stretched out … OOUCH:nono:

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I would start with a heavy duty car cover first then some kind of dog training.

·
Registered
164 Posts
To get the scratches out go to Walmrt and buy a products called quixx. I bought some the other week for some pretty ugly scratches on my passenger side door. It took them all out. And it is not a filler, it really takes them out.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The point of this story is.....??? He should shoot his dog? I know this is not what your intent was, but really. Where does a guy putting a bullet into a dog help with the OP situation. If he was going to do what your brother did then I am pretty sure he wouldn't ask for help. Your anecdote is just another incident of a dog failed by his/her owner. I am amazed at the level of ignorance of some dog "owners". Again, dogs require boundries and training. The chow in your story, obviously, had neither of them. Protection of family is first and foremost and if the dog was just wandering around with no one really to take care of it and it became feral then having it put down is a reasonable option. Just too bad it had to go down that way and hopefully the kids were not around to see it happen.
The fence is a good suggestion, but I am still lost over the chow incident:headscratch:.

It was in response to people saying how mean and hateful many of the responses were...

My point was...there are FAR MORE meaner and hateful out there.

Also if you read the whole post i mentioned fencing.

Regarding cats..i have a similiar problem with my girl friends cats..but mostly its just paw prints. One has no claws and the other seems pretty keen not to use its clause on the paint (from what i have seen).

At the end of the day..some scratches weather it be from rocks, road debris, bad parking jobs, or excited pets..are inevitible. Do the best you can with it and just enjoy the ride...thats what i have to remind myself often. Some people manage to DESTROY their cars in a matter of months and i wont go to that extreme either..but you have to find a middle ground.

My sons lab barks..but no longer jumps...unfortunately for him, i used the "negative" reinforcement on him one day when i was wearing a suit and he jumped up on me with muddy paws...lets just say..he didn't even APPROACH me again for 6 months or more.... He is a good dog i just have very low tolerance levels.

·
Registered
786 Posts
You could always try just training him to not approach the car until you give him an all clear.

Such as if you come home, he can come out but has to sit on the side of the driveway or by the door until you tell him it's ok for him to come over to you.

This would not only save your car, but prevent you from getting jumped on when you're trying to unload groceries or get things out of the car.

My uncle has a dog and this is what he trained his to do with the front door so that the dog wouldn't rush people as they are coming in the door and start jumping at them. His dog is supposed to sit off to the side and stay until he is given an ok to run around again.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Silverbullet - that's a sad story for sure. :sosad: Sounds like you know your dog's behavior very well but you failed to do anything different to correct that behavior - (at least you did not mention that in your post). Your black lab showed you what he could do with your 2004 so surely you did not expect him to do differently with your new machine did you? If you love your dog, invest in some training or at least a fenced area where you park. Otherwise expect more of the same. I think brendanryan0510 suggestions were spot on. Good luck.

@Allentown - That was sick & far from funny dude. :eyepoppin

·
Registered
45,992 Posts
Very simple. The dog needs to be taught not to jump on the cars. In other words, you need to OWN the cars so the dog won't approach it. He's in an excited dominant state of mind, maybe even frustrated, so you need to take control of the dog. What activity does he do while you're gone? Does he get taken for actual walks?

This requires patience and repetitiveness on your part. The problem with dog training is many think the dog should get it right away but it doesn't work that way. You need to do this and teach the dog that's not what you want it to do. The treats will work but shouldn't be kept up any longer than it takes to teach him a new behavior.

This is common dog behavior so the training is what he needs.

Hitting, beating, kicking, or any other abuse won't teach the dog anything other than how to be afraid of you and you don't want that. You earn the dogs trust and respect, they'll listen and obey once they've been taught how to be around you. If the dog has been this way for some time, it'll take some time for him to un-learn the behavior he's come to do when you get home.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.