Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a squeak coming form the drivers side head. First thing checked was the timing chain and tensioners. So the drivers side one seemed alittle weak so it was replaced and the motor was put back together. The noise still there. Took it into ford and they said bad valve guide. So I pulled the motor out of the car now and took the head into a machine shop and they said it looks as good as new inside and out. They said it was probably an exhaust leak.....i say no way. But yet i am also at a loss of what to do next. Someone help!

Here is the noise before tear down.

'99 Cobra Motor - Car Videos on StreetFire

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
check the water pump and pullies, they can make that kinda sound

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
well I was going for the easy fix...now I'll have to say it sounds like the infamous "head tick" or like someone else said, it could be the chain guides

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
there's a cooling mod to prevent it, but yeah, once you have it, you have to rebuild or replace the head, it's a valve guide issue

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
that squeak is what is unique, it does sound like the plastic cam gear or chain is rubbing, the valve guide problem is just a tick, like a collapsed lifter would sound like in a pushrod motor.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that squeak is what is unique, it does sound like the plastic cam gear or chain is rubbing, the valve guide problem is just a tick, like a collapsed lifter would sound like in a pushrod motor.
Thats why i am so thrown off on this one. So i have a couple options:
1. attempt to find a rebuilt head (price is cheaper then having the one rebuilt)
2. replace all timing parts
3. Put it back together and hope that it was just a fluke.
4. buy a new head from a stealership.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Head tick is notorious for most DOHC cars in 03 and some in 04. It's from worn valve guides, typically number 7 and 8 cylinder. And it's sounds more like a tick or like what an injector sounds like but louder. This sounds more like a chain or tensioner rubbing something wrong.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Head tick is notorious for most DOHC cars in 03 and some in 04. It's from worn valve guides, typically number 7 and 8 cylinder. And it's sounds more like a tick or like what an injector sounds like but louder. This sounds more like a chain or tensioner rubbing something wrong.
My thoughts exactly. I have seen atleast 100+ videos of head "ticks" and not one of them compares to the noise coming out of mine.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Was the sound constant did it get louder with rpm's increased?

Did the sound change at all when you reved the motor?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I agree it sounds like a tensioner!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was the sound constant did it get louder with rpm's increased?

Did the sound change at all when you reved the motor?
the sound would go with the rpm's. At idle there was nothing but as soon as the rpms went up it was there. Got louder with the increase of rpms....squealing. I decided to go the route of replacing that head and all of the timing chains, tensioners and chains since the motor is already out and apart.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts