Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it worth the trouble/possible to change an 08 v6 4.0 sohc engine into a dohc engine. My buddy at least says he has a 4.0 explorer with a dohc engine. is it possible to swap the two, to make the v6 better? and if so how much trouble would it be?

·
Registered
273 Posts
im not sure but i think that swap would be really hard, if you want more power i would just find a wrecked gt and use that motor. you will need more then just the motor to do the swap though. you will need motor mounts, compter system, wiring harness, guage cluster, and most likely the transmission all off the gt. so if you want an engine swap it would be best to find a wrecked gt and take the whole car since you will need most of the parts. as for the explorer i think it would be wayyy to much work

·
Registered
566 Posts
check out supersixmotorsports.com they have some internals and race block for our 4.0v6 Super Six Motorsports

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Is it worth the trouble/possible to change an 08 v6 4.0 sohc engine into a dohc engine. My buddy at least says he has a 4.0 explorer with a dohc engine. is it possible to swap the two, to make the v6 better? and if so how much trouble would it be?
It's not worth the trouble. You'd find power going from a sohc to a dohc motor but its probably going to involve a lot of searching for parts and probably having some custom parts built. It should also be noted that being that Ford never made a dohc 4.0 its pretty unlikely that your friend has one, although its not impossible. From what I understand the Ranger and Explorer 4.0's are the same as the 2005+ Mustang after 2001, but they're ohv instead of sohc before 2001. An ohv swap would probably be easier, but would require that you get an ohv 4.0 and convert it to dohc and then swap it with your current sohc 4.0. As I said before, not worth the trouble.

You'd probably be much happier with an X-charger or Vortech supercharger on your current 4.0. $4,000 and you'll be making 300rwhp and tq on stock internals.

Supersix heads and cams are an option if you insist on staying naturally aspirated. Tom Morana Racing also makes a 4.3l stroker kit for the 4.0 which is supposed to be pretty nice. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
It should, but Tom Moranas website doesn't have any dyno sheets to show what kinds of gains to expect from his kit. It's really unfortunate because there is a big market for 4.0 modifications and i'm sure a lot of people would buy the kit, if it was proven to provide good gains.

Heads and cams from supersix will do a lot more for you in the mid-range power than top end. You're likely to see gains of 75rwhp or more midrange but less than 40 up top. They're really dangerous when coupled with a supercharger, making over 400rwhp. :bigthumbsup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.