Ford Mustang Forum banner

Dohc swap

1K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Screaming04Gt 
#1 ·
Currently debating swapping a 96 or 01 dohc in a 97 gt. Anybody know any good used motor websites? Thought about pi swap but wanted a motor that can handle potential boost and I'm tired of the sohc lol. Also is an ecu swap necessary for the dohc on the gt or can a piggy back work fine

#2 ·
The ecu will support the swap just fine. Just need to sort out the engine wiring and finish up with a tune to get the most of it.

What makes you say that the 4v is going to handle more boost? The internals have the same limitations that the 2v does.

#9 ·
Yea honestly although the blower would add way more power than the engine swap, I'm still leaning more towards the dohc. It will be a lot faster than the motor in there right now and sound a lot better in my opinion. I just don't know where to find a complete one with the harnesses and sensors

#12 ·
Little different, 280hp rating for the Mark8 vs 305hp for the Cobra. Different intake manifolds I'm pretty sure is the primary reason.

#15 ·
I believe Lincoln Mk8s came with B heads from 93-96. And C heads from 97-98. Cobras came with C heads I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Also, the Cobra and Mk8 intake cams are the same. Exhaust cams are different. So you can take Cobra exhaust cams and intake manifold and put it on a Mk8 motor, and have basically the same thing.

No, I didn't do the 4v swap. I was saying I actually bought a complete and running Mk8 car for $100 and yanked the engine from it. I ended up using the Teksid aluminum block and putting my 2v heads on it with flat top pistons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.