Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seasons greetings everyone,

Although I have not formally introduced myself or my car yet (will do that later) , I thought I would post some pics of my Western Motorsports CAI and ram air box install completed yesterday, as I know you will all be writing your letters to Santa in the next few days. Don't leave it too late - Santa's man at WMS who makes the ram air boxes is already working weekends.

Overall the install is pretty easy though it took me almost 3 hours until I was satisfied. Note that you have to CUT and extend (with crimping) the factory wiring to the MAF and CUT and extend the coolant hoses to the reservoir tank. I would have expected WMS to provide wiring extension with Ford plugs on the end. Had to go out to Walmart to buy a heat gun to shrink and seal the crimps; wife's 1000W hairdryer was not up to the job. Don't be put off; I'm Irish and if I can do it anyone can - Murphy's law was invented by me !

You may also have spotted the LPF 62 billet throttle body which matches the billet WMS MAF quite nicely. The TB is a very easy install with good instructions.

The ram air box itself installs quite easily, though the package was missing any instructions. The fit around the MAF could be better; one side is touching and the other has 3/4" gap. Also had to extend 3 of the 6 fixing holes in the tray with a drill to line them up with the factory holes. Bought some replacement grommets (is that right word ?) as well to hold the tray down tighter, Factory 2 piece grommets do not work that well. But overall it looks good; judge for yourself. :eyepoppin

I thought I had it perfect, went to close the hood and guess what ? There is no retainer for the hood stay - there's a hole but no clip supplied. Maybe a good excuse for some new hood stays.

In terms of performance, yes there is a difference even farily low in the rev range, I can't tell you HP figures as it has not been on dyno yet.

Unfortunately, the Diablo Sport Tuning unit WMS sent me does not recognise my car. :sosad: Maybe because it's a '06, but I specifically asked this before purchasing. Will follow up this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Dyno that thing!!!!! Or have it tuned...

It looks great.:thumbsup

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
304.63 HP without tune

Hi JEB,
Had a set of Kooks headers, non-cat x-pipe and Magnaflow system installed today. Dynojet recorded at 304.63 HP with the WMS CAI but without tune and frighteningly low miles on the car! Looking at other's HP figures I would expect another 5-8 hp from the tuner and a few more miles on the clock.

Currently working with WMS to get the Predator unit recognising my vehicle; hopefully should be a matter of a few update downloads, the guys in Calgary are pretty helpful.
steve

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hey Steve 999
What made you choose the WMS CAI product? I have had some work done by them in the past and it was Top Notch! They brought my 95 GT up to 300 hp plus and made the handling like I had glue on the tires. This was a few years ago and now I'm looking at their CAI for my new 05 GT. Would you recommend that from your experience right now?
Thanks
PonyWill

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes, so far so good

Hi Will, sorry for delay in replying. I'm travelling right now - just a brief reply from Heathrow airport !

I bought it because I thought the concept looked really good - the distance from the filter to the TB is about as short as you can go. I had no previous experience with WMS, but the guys there have been really helpful. Only thing I would recommend over and above the kit supplied by WMS is to replace the factory spring coolant hose clamps (you have to move the overflow tank and extend the hoses) with screw clamps - I observed a leak in one fo the connections - I suspect the hose that WMS supplied was stiffer than the original hose and the factory clamp is not transferring enough pressure on the internal diameter of the hose. I pointed this out to WMS already so they may provide screw clamps in the future.

The Predator seems to have a problem so have returned to WMS and will get a replacement in the New Year. If you ever buy a Predator make sure the vendor updates it with the latest software version, then loads up his custom tune if available, before shipping. Car is really going well but still only 500 miles on the clock - a few more hundred and when the tuner is working I'll take it back to the dyno for another run. I'm hoping for 310+ !

You may have spotted I installed the filter upide down - I think the metal strip should be on the bottom to protect the filter mesh. Corrected now.

rgds, steve

·
Registered
200 Posts
Very sharp looking and I like the concept of no bends other than getting thrugh the filter.

·
Registered
261 Posts
so steve, plz update us on the performance of the wms. im prob. gettin a saleen s/c and was thinkin this setup would be real good for it . only id get the 95mm MAF. i also am gettin a ram air hood and with a couple of mods i was thinkin i could really hav a ram air intake with a s/c. thx vynle.:eyepoppin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts