Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the leather door panel insert separate from my door today. I know all about gluing it back on and upholstery shops, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any other inserts made for the 2010-2014 cars? I can find tons for 2005-2009, but nothing for newer models.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the leather door panel insert separate from my door today. I know all about gluing it back on and upholstery shops, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any other inserts made for the 2010-2014 cars? I can find tons for 2005-2009, but nothing for newer models.
Not sure I've seen them. What year is it? Was it the ones with the chrome pony emblem in them? I know it was an issue in the 05-09 but I was kinda thinking they fixed it with the s197 gen 2 redesign. You might have to bite the bullit and try glueing yourself or an upholstery shop... last resort the dealer maybe? Good luck keep us updated. I have a 14 with the leather inserts with the chrome pony and I'm hoping I don't have the issue you're having. But if you find something let us know.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine's a 2011. The leather is glued to foam and the foam is glued to the door. I've seen this arrangement before in GM headliners where the foam disintegrates.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm having this issue now with my 2012 convertible. Attaching an image. I found another post on this site that says to clean off the debris from the leather and the backing foam, then apply adhesive to both and reattach. Many people recommended 3M adhesive, but several said that doesn't last, and to go to an upholstery shop for better adhesive. Any confirmations or other suggestions before I start? Thanks.
mustang_door_panel_20200821_small.jpg

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used this a couple of months ago:
Permatex Heavy Duty Spray Adhesive
Prod # 27829 (Canadian code?)
474 g can

Please note the product name and code appears to vary. Think in the US it's got a headliner reference.

So far so good. Took my time with prep and masking the door.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Coverlay makes molded inserts. You may find an upholstery shop is competitively priced.

I had mine done professionally. The guy that did mine actually does them for the local dealerships too and stocks the actual Ford materials.

Here in AZ summer temps hover around 106-117. There is no way a can of spray glue that would have the old ones stay on.

AFTER:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts

·
Banned
40 Posts
3M Super77 has worked for me, just NEW spots are falling. There is also a step up from that,
the 3M 90. I have used the 3M Super 77, sprayed and used a roller to roll it on. New spots are
now falling and will have to get to them. Home Depot has this stuff.

I read the Gorilla Glue spray also works.

The 05-09s have hard plastic replacements available. Remove the fabric and replace
it with a one piece plastic panel.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I replaced mines with a plastic insert, after many failed attempts to glue mines. 06 GT. Satisfied with the results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts