Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you get these things out? I tried last night, took out all 8 of the hex hed screws, and it still wouldnt come out. What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
263 Posts
new stang owner said:
How do you get these things out? I tried last night, took out all 8 of the hex hed screws, and it still wouldnt come out. What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated.
You have to remove the entire door panel.. There is a singel bolt that runs through the back of the panel into the back of the sub

·
Registered
394 Posts
Along the same lines....

What aftermarket brand / size / depth / etc...sub will fit perfectly in the door sub openings? I have comtemplated getting new speakers from Crutchfield (to include subs); but do not know which ones fit perfectly. There website doesn't really cover subs in the "fits your car" category very well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Does anyone have a copy of Ford's speaker removal and install procedures for the front doors. My GT does not have the Shaker system but I would like to install some speakers where the Shakers subs would have gone. I also think I need new door panels like a GT with the subs would have. Any suggestions where to get them aside from the obvious.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Zrullac said:
Does anyone have a copy of Ford's speaker removal and install procedures for the front doors. My GT does not have the Shaker system but I would like to install some speakers where the Shakers subs would have gone. I also think I need new door panels like a GT with the subs would have. Any suggestions where to get them aside from the obvious.
Heres all the work instructions..... Hope this helps out!!

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index.php?showtopic=34240

·
Registered
91 Posts
new stang owner said:
I would also like to know, since I have most of my door panel apart in my garage, but it still won't come off! LeonsortX provided a link at TheMustangSource, but the forums have been down off and on for the last week.

I've got the sub cover & all the screws off, all the screws off around the outside perimeter of the door panel, and the star-shaped screws behind the window switch plate & the door handle are off and the panel still won't budge. I know I'm missing one or some, because it won't budge...HELP!

Tony

·
Registered
237 Posts
Here is the door sub removal instructions in pdf.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks guys. I got the panels off. I also didn't realize that once I became a registered user, the SEARCH option turned on.

I have to say I am HIGHLY impressed that the subs have sealed enclosures!!! Even though they're plastic, this is much more desireable than using the door cavity itself as the enclosure. I'll have to make some modifications and/or some inventive baffles, but I should be able to get the speakers I want in there.

Tony

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
How Deep are the facotry speakers

·
Registered
54 Posts
There are a couple of limiting factors on depth: depth of magnet to factory mounting hole
and width of speaker magnet as the sub enclosure is not round. You can modify the
enclosure small amounts with a heat gun without much difficulty - big subs would be a
problem. 3-5/8" is max without modification; 3-7/8 would be no big deal; some people
have done 4-1/4", but that takes some cutting and fiberglassing. I know the MTX 4500
fit no problem; I have the CDT EF-8 and they went in with only a slight heat gun mod.
I'm sure there are others out there that do not have cages around the magnets that will
fit. Whatever you do, you have to fill in the factory hole with silicone.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I just installed some Rockford Fosgate 8" Subs (P18S4) in each door. A little heat from the gun and they fit just fine. Although it did require me cutting out the small bump in the bottom of the panel where the bolt to the old sub entered. But I cut it out and sealed it again. They sound great! And look so much better than the others too!

·
Registered
84 Posts
nbk13nw said:
I just installed some Rockford Fosgate 8" Subs (P18S4) in each door. A little heat from the gun and they fit just fine. Although it did require me cutting out the small bump in the bottom of the panel where the bolt to the old sub entered. But I cut it out and sealed it again. They sound great! And look so much better than the others too!
How did you take out the power window switch housing on the door panel? Did you know if you can just take that part off without taking off the whole door panel? How the subs sound? Do they have a high frequency bass or does it sound a lot lower than the stock ones?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts