Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok had 5 runs at the Strip here in Vegas last nite.Here is an average of what I did.

RT .396
60 2.1
330 6.1
1/8 9.4
mph 75
1000 12.2

mph 98

I have a K&N air charger and Diablo 91 octane tune. It seems my 60 time needs to improve, but I get alot of wheel spin, then when I hit second gear the thing takes off like a rocket.
So I am thinking Drag Radials, I have on warmer nights had under 2 sec 60 times. I have a Zex kit on the way, but the tires seem to be the thing now.
Would you agree or offer different advice.

·
Registered
897 Posts
speco2005 said:
Ok had 5 runs at the Strip here in Vegas last nite.Here is an average of what I did.

RT .396
60 2.1
330 6.1
1/8 9.4
mph 75
1000 12.2

mph 98

I have a K&N air charger and Diablo 91 octane tune. It seems my 60 time needs to improve, but I get alot of wheel spin, then when I hit second gear the thing takes off like a rocket.
So I am thinking Drag Radials, I have on warmer nights had under 2 sec 60 times. I have a Zex kit on the way, but the tires seem to be the thing now.
Drag radials and a lot of practise. there are many threads already started on this already. Use the search feature.

·
Registered
622 Posts
speco2005 said:

RT .396
60 2.1
330 6.1
1/8 9.4
mph 75
1000 12.2

mph 98

first time at the track? Not bad! I've only been out 5 or 6 times and have trouble getting traction off the line with stock tires. I'm getting better, but it will take a lot more practice... and nothing funner than practicing :happyhapp . I'd like to get semi-proficient with the stock tires before moving to a stickier compound... or burn the stock tires off, whichever comes first. :laughlitt My thoughts are, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that slicks and drag radials can pretty much handle everything a stock setup can throw at them... so I wouldn't be learning as much using them now.

by the way... what I've experienced with the stock rubber is that a little burn out before the race is better than no burnout, but a big smokey burnout is worse than no burnout at all.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gear as you cross the line?

A search did net alot of tire info. Now I am wondering what gear are you guys crossing the line in? 3rd seems to be the one, when I go into 4th I seem to lose time. And I do keep the peddle to the floor when I shift.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I'm using a 275/40 17 drag radial which is 25.7" tall and I am running it at 16psi. When I cross th line it's in 4th gear around 4500-5000rpm.

When I was running my factory tires which are 27.2" tall I would cross the line at 6300rpm in 3rd gear. It would pull that high in 3rd because my rpm cutoff is now set to 6500rpm

There are no 27" tall drag tires for 17" rims. If I buy another set of drag wheels and tires they will be the M/T ET Streets 27 x 10.5 x 16" and a set of Weld Racing wheels.

·
Registered
897 Posts
speco2005 said:
Great Thump thanks. Now will you keep the 17 wheels on the front or 16s?
The M/T ET Streets are only for the drag strip. I'm going 18" for the street.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thump_rrr said:
No I completely understand that , what I meant was what tire are you running on the front for the strip?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Ummm, make sure your pumps match your lipstick?:happyhapp

I've never done the drag thing...

Oh, you must mean drag racing! Sorry, had to say it.

Slicks man! That's what you need!

·
Registered
897 Posts
speco2005 said:
No I completely understand that , what I meant was what tire are you running on the front for the strip?
Thanks
My stock 17's. you can't fit anything else in the front due to the calipers.

well yes you can if you use a 1" spacer + a 1/2" spacer with skinnies. It's a PITA

·
Registered
622 Posts
thump_rrr said:
if they're only for the strip, why not go with an all out drag slick? track rules or something?

·
Registered
897 Posts
nonsensez9 said:
if they're only for the strip, why not go with an all out drag slick? track rules or something?
At Fun Ford Weekend it costs cheaper to run the street ford class.

$50.00 instead of $85.00 and the first round buyback is $10.00 instead of $35.00

In quick ford class and you're going against any "door slammer" without electronics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts