Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to Zmaz Dragway on July 13th for the "Drag & Brag" and I am wanting some drag racing tips that I should do to my car and what I need to do once I get on the track.. I've never driven down a dragstrip... I have a 07 GT with 3:75 gears, stock tires, CAI and a Brenspeed custom tune with a couple other mods. Any info would be great...!
Thanks, Danny

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hey Danny; One thing you'll need, or you're not going one inch down the track. And that's a driveshaft loop, without it Tech will send you away. That's the only thing you'll need, because you're practically stock. Make sure your neutral safety switch is working, it's going to be like going for your sticker except it's all safety. Get yourself a rule book, that way whatever class you end up in you'll know you're ready. If you can afford to, get yourself a nice set of sticky drag radials then play with the pressure. Start off with about 22lbs. of pressure, and go from there like your next pass go to 20lbs. then check your time slips. Compare your slips from 22, to 20lbs. and check which is putting your time slip lower then you'll know which way to go from there. And pay close attention to the tree, reaction time can either win or lose a race. For what you have Danny, I don't know what else to tell you but good luck, Mike.:bigthumbsup:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Jesus! Why use that font size? No need for that.

The only advice I will offer is make sure you have the right helmet, and hang back and watch and talk with the other drivers. Most drivers there will look for any excuse to talk about their car or their skills. Love offering advice too.

Most importantly: Have Fun!!!!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
One thing you'll need, or you're not going one inch down the track. And that's a driveshaft loop, without it Tech will send you away. That's the only thing you'll need, because you're practically stock.
A driveshaft loop isn't required unless the car runs 11.49 or quicker, or else runs full slicks.

PS: it's in that rule book you suggested the OP get and read :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
look up your track online. they should have a site and the rules will be there to download. its a blast so be ready to have alot of fun. after a couple passes, you`ll see how everything works and you`ll be hooked. on a good note, the leather armrest doesnt weight anything, so when you get it on, it shouldnt slow you down :gringreen

·
Registered
307 Posts
A driveshaft loop isn't required unless the car runs 11.49 or quicker, or else runs full slicks.

PS: it's in that rule book you suggested the OP get and read :bigthumbsup
You beat me to it!! lol
I don't think you need a helmet unless your car runs 13.99 or faster, which it should! with a few mods.
I've run cars to mid 13's w/out a helmet and no one's ever said anything to me.. However I've never ran a competition either, just test and tune stuff.

But most of all, like others said, go fast, have fun!

·
Registered
784 Posts
You beat me to it!! lol
I don't think you need a helmet unless your car runs 13.99 or faster, which it should! with a few mods.
I've run cars to mid 13's w/out a helmet and no one's ever said anything to me.. However I've never ran a competition either, just test and tune stuff.

But most of all, like others said, go fast, have fun!
they get us for not wearing helmets here.

when you get to the track watch from the stands, watch a couple races to see how they do things then go try. we had an 04 cobra and 04 vortech charged GT the other night at the track, they didnt know how to stage or anything. It was kind of embarrassing for them and they left after their first run i believe.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
Check out the drag strips web site for information and regulations. Like someone said before, maybe go to the track as a spectator and observe and ask guestions. Your doin the right thing. It's all B.S. whats going on out in the streets between the lights. And don't stress over your times if they're not what you thought they'd be. Make some adjustments and try again some other time. These guys are right, fun is the bottm line.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
These guys are right, fun is the bottm line.
Absolutely!!

No stressing - everybody there will likely be happy to answer any questions you might have, give advice, welcome you, etc. :bigthumbsup

Just don't show up in shorts and flip-flops :nono:

Tell everyone it's your first time and you'll make friends fast, they'll be doling out advice faster than you can take it in, lol.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've been to the week 2 and 4 ZMax drag n' brag's,, They don't go thru a real 'tech inspection', just pay yer' $20 bucks,, get your tech card, ((They make you fill it out up at the ticket window)),, After getting your card and crew wrist band, you'll drive around to the competitors entry gate and your give card it to the tech guys at the gate and he'll write your car number on the windshield and side glass and you're in. You can drive up to the staging lanes and park and walk around see how things are working,

They use the upper 1-4 staging lanes so you can pick which one you wanna run in, Lane 1 and 3 will run on the inner lane, which is lane 3 out of the 4 ZMax has, staging lanes 2 and 4 run the outer ..

They will make wear a helmet if you're trap speed is more than 110mph,The 1st week I went I took it easy and trapped 114 on my 1st run,they didn't say anything, then I stood on it for my second run and trapped 118 and they nicely told me to put my helmet on :)

They let guys wear shorts and I've seen a few wearing sandals, I would Not wear sandals myself,

Other than that,, the ticket booth opens at 4, racing starts at five so if you early you can make a quite a few runs ,,, There wasn't a whole lotta' people there last week, I think thunder storms around the area kept people coming out.

I'm going to try and go back this week myself, weather permitting, My car is a 2010 Grabber Blue GT, maybe I'll see you there, There really hasn't been a lot of Mustangs running,, The Slowmaro's out number the Mustang by about 3-to-1 ...

Here's a shot of me in waiting for the tree from week 4 ...

Good luck and maybe I'll see you there !!

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
I only been to the track once, and dont be afraid to tell others its your first time, most will be happy to fill you in on how things work. Its a different atmosphere there. Very enjoyable to just go and BS with the rest of the drivers.

Some tracks, like mine are pretty lax on TnT nights. There were many running in the 10's and 11's with no safety gear, at least the street cars.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
There were many running in the 10's and 11's with no safety gear, at least the street cars.
Wow, I'd wear mine if they required it or not, my noggin's been through enough already :winks

Too much stuff can go wrong in an instant at those speeds... and there's no time machine to go back and change things.

Like the law enforcement guy laying in the casket because one day he thought it was too hot to wear his vest and sh1t went down...nothing had ever happened to him before so he said hell, I'll just leave it at home...

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've been to the week 2 and 4 ZMax drag n' brag's,, They don't go thru a real 'tech inspection', just pay yer' $20 bucks,, get your tech card, ((They make you fill it out up at the ticket window)),, After getting your card and crew wrist band, you'll drive around to the competitors entry gate and your give card it to the tech guys at the gate and he'll write your car number on the windshield and side glass and you're in. You can drive up to the staging lanes and park and walk around see how things are working,

They use the upper 1-4 staging lanes so you can pick which one you wanna run in, Lane 1 and 3 will run on the inner lane, which is lane 3 out of the 4 ZMax has, staging lanes 2 and 4 run the outer ..

They will make wear a helmet if you're trap speed is more than 110mph,The 1st week I went I took it easy and trapped 114 on my 1st run,they didn't say anything, then I stood on it for my second run and trapped 118 and they nicely told me to put my helmet on :)

They let guys wear shorts and I've seen a few wearing sandals, I would Not wear sandals myself,

Other than that,, the ticket booth opens at 4, racing starts at five so if you early you can make a quite a few runs ,,, There wasn't a whole lotta' people there last week, I think thunder storms around the area kept people coming out.

I'm going to try and go back this week myself, weather permitting, My car is a 2010 Grabber Blue GT, maybe I'll see you there, There really hasn't been a lot of Mustangs running,, The Slowmaro's out number the Mustang by about 3-to-1 ...

Here's a shot of me in waiting for the tree from week 4 ...

Good luck and maybe I'll see you there !!
Myself and some buds will be there on the 13th. We are bringing 2 Mustangs, Camaro and a Challenger. Look for me, My red 07 GT has a black C stripe on the sides... can't miss it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts