Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am planning on getting a pair of radials and 18x10s for the track. I dont know what size to go with my 4.10s. right now i am running 295/45/18s 555s, i want to get some NT05rs or MTs, the best 60' i can get with the street tires are 2.15. Should i go 305/45/18s or 285/40/18s? the 305s are available in either MT ET Streets or NT05rs, are these okay driving to and from the track? The track i go to is about 30 minutes away from home. If anyone has any experience with either or both please let me know what you think of them. The overall diameter would be 26.98 = 285/40, 28.81 = 305/45 and 295/45 = 28.45 for my current tires. At the track im right around 5800rpm in 4th at the end of the 1/4, i think anyways, i forget. hope to hear from you guys and gals out there.

2005-12 Mustang Anthracite Sve Anniversary Wheel - 18X10 at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
285 is a better fit on a 10" rim, but 305s would fit.

If 2.15 is your best 60' on 294/45s, you should consider buying some good upper and lower control arms and practicing your launches. (high rpm, slip the clutch) I know you can get into the 1.9Xs on your tires if you make some more practice passes...

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
285 is a better fit on a 10" rim, but 305s would fit.

If 2.15 is your best 60' on 294/45s, you should consider buying some good upper and lower control arms and practicing your launches. (high rpm, slip the clutch) I know you can get into the 1.9Xs on your tires if you make some more practice passes...
yeah, i plan on getting a set from BMR that my tuner suggested. but id like to get a pair of tires that i dont daily drive on also, i dont want to wear out my rubber. this weekend im going back to the track, ill try out the high rpm slip the clutch technique.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Mickey Thompson has been around a long time. I would go with them. Or you could get yourself another set like I did and change out the tires to FULL Slicks at the track. That is the best way. Nothing is going to hook up like a full slick. Now that being said, you need to have at a very minimum a 1 piece drive shaft, and safety loop. Incase you are wondering how I get a jack and set of slicks on bogart to the track . I take out the passangers seat and there is a lot of room for the jack. the back seat lays down and you can put you wheel and slicks in the back.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Mickey Thompson has been around a long time. I would go with them. Or you could get yourself another set like I did and change out the tires to FULL Slicks at the track. That is the best way. Nothing is going to hook up like a full slick. Now that being said, you need to have at a very minimum a 1 piece drive shaft, and safety loop. Incase you are wondering how I get a jack and set of slicks on bogart to the track . I take out the passangers seat and there is a lot of room for the jack. the back seat lays down and you can put you wheel and slicks in the back.

+1 on what Bkid said. dont waste time with drag radials or et streets. i take out the trunk bottom and spare, then i can fit both full slicks (its tight, but they will fit) a small floor jack and my cordless impact in the trunk:winks find a friends truck at the track to put everything in while your racing, otherwise you'll probably run 1/10th or so slower with all that weight. plus, my 18" bullitts wont fit in trunk like slicks will....

as far as DS, at least get safety loop. ive made 30+ passess on my stock DS with about 300 rwhp.... but ive probably been lucky, and im sure to break it if i keep it up which is why i have the loop. (i can sell the wife on a $600 DS easier if the car is down:bigthumbsup)

my car hooks up wicked hard with the slicks and i dropped my et nearly half a second!!....burn the #$%# out of them in the burnout box, melt 'em good and you'll be sucking seat cushion when she launches!!:kooky:......:worshipfull slicks!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
+1 on what Bkid said. dont waste time with drag radials or et streets. i take out the trunk bottom and spare, then i can fit both full slicks (its tight, but they will fit) a small floor jack and my cordless impact in the trunk:winks find a friends truck at the track to put everything in while your racing, otherwise you'll probably run 1/10th or so slower with all that weight. plus, my 18" bullitts wont fit in trunk like slicks will....

as far as DS, at least get safety loop. ive made 30+ passess on my stock DS with about 300 rwhp.... but ive probably been lucky, and im sure to break it if i keep it up which is why i have the loop. (i can sell the wife on a $600 DS easier if the car is down:bigthumbsup)

my car hooks up wicked hard with the slicks and i dropped my et nearly half a second!!....burn the #$%# out of them in the burnout box, melt 'em good and you'll be sucking seat cushion when she launches!!:kooky:......:worshipfull slicks!
well, if thats the case, then i guess i could get full out slicks. id probably take out the passenger seat because i have the shaker 1000 in the trunk. ill be buying a set of upper and lower control arms this week, as sharad suggested, then ill work on getting the DS loop and look for an aluminum DS afterwards, then get slicks. What size slicks would be best with a 15x10 race star wheel. I have no idea what the sizes mean when it comes to slicks or which ones to pick.

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
well, if thats the case, then i guess i could get full out slicks. id probably take out the passenger seat because i have the shaker 1000 in the trunk. ill be buying a set of upper and lower control arms this week, as sharad suggested, then ill work on getting the DS loop and look for an aluminum DS afterwards, then get slicks. What size slicks would be best with a 15x10 race star wheel. I have no idea what the sizes mean when it comes to slicks or which ones to pick.
Good move on the suspension and slicks!

I'd think 28x10.5-15 M/T ET Drag would be reasonable with your 4.10s. You could go shorter (26" or 27") but I think the 28"s will probably be a good move with the 4.10.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
i got the shaker 1000 too. slicks on oem 17s fit....tight, but they fit.;) i cant remember the tire size off the top of my head, they are in the loft in my barn. (busy summer, wont make it to track this year):mesad:

i think they were stock equivalant size for the 17 inch rim, which is why i bought them. i bought them from a guy who races top fuel bikes. seems the big slick on the back is the same size for our cars. he was sponsored by MT, so he sells them on indianapolis' craigslist after a few passes on them, b/c as he put, he has "tires coming out of his a$$"........

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i got the shaker 1000 too. slicks on oem 17s fit....tight, but they fit.;) i cant remember the tire size off the top of my head, they are in the loft in my barn. (busy summer, wont make it to track this year):mesad:

i think they were stock equivalant size for the 17 inch rim, which is why i bought them. i bought them from a guy who races top fuel bikes. seems the big slick on the back is the same size for our cars. he was sponsored by MT, so he sells them on indianapolis' craigslist after a few passes on them, b/c as he put, he has "tires coming out of his a$$"........
ha nice. i switched wheels with my old v6 so i don't have the oem ones anymore. im probably gonna stop going to the track until i get all this done to save some cash for the parts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts