Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if there was a way to drain the power steering fluid or replace it without having to suck it from the reservoir with the turkey baster method...i noticed a hose running down from the reservoir just wondering if i can simply pop the clamp off and pull off the hose and let it drain from there...also if anyone has any recommendations for some good fluid please let me know

·
Registered
593 Posts
Pull the hose at the bottom driver's side of the radiator and drain it from there. Then refill it, run it(turn the wheel fully, lock to lock), and drain it again. To get the fluid level right, you'll have to bleed the air out of the system. To bleed the air out of the system, turn the steering wheel back and forth, holding it to the locks for 2-3 seconds. Do this 3 or 4 times per side.

Be sure to check for leaks and closely monitor the fluid level for the next week. Leaving these pumps with a low fluid level is almost as bad as pouring sand into them...

·
Registered
593 Posts
Oh, and Lucas makes a good additive fluid. I like Mobil 1 synthetic ATF, personally. Whatever you get, make sure it's Mercon V spec ATF or specifically for powersteering. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
their is a hose on the back side of it, pop that off, watch it drain!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick reply guys sounds easy enough...the fluid in there now is black so that's why I really wanted to drain as much as possible haha

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
When we bled ours I raised the front wheels off the ground. Easier on the power steering system and only took a minute to do.

·
Registered
593 Posts
When we bled ours I raised the front wheels off the ground. Easier on the power steering system and only took a minute to do.

That's like saying you broke your engine in by turning it by hand. Easier doesn't mean better. These things work all the time in the real world, so you wouldn't damage anything by leaving it on the ground.

R

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply guys sounds easy enough...the fluid in there now is black so that's why I really wanted to drain as much as possible haha

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
It doesn't take much ATF to fill the reservoir, so do what other have said, and then do it again. Some of the old fluid stays in the lines or pump and you need to "flush" the system.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts