Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty much what the title says. Im thinking about getting a new set of headers after the holiday. Thinking about the unequal link bbk 1 5/8 chrome headers. I had just replaced the stock h pipe n mufflers with an offroad mac h pipe and some random imported free flowing mufflers. the mac and mufflers are both 2.5 inch. And im just wondering how drastic does the headers change the tone and loudness of the car? Also a little further down the road after the headers im gona replace the stock tailpipes. does the tailpipes restrict that much of power and sound?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I doubt that the headers change the sound much ('cept for maybe equal lengths). I think the off-road pipe makes the biggest difference. It harkens back to the days of real cars without cats, at least from what I can tell from inside my ride.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
im considering equal lengths, probably pacesetters, they seem to make a nice mid price range product. plus it comes with a FREE STICKER. YESSSSSSS! anyway, equal lengths make a sound difference?

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
systronic said:
im considering equal lengths, probably pacesetters, they seem to make a nice mid price range product. plus it comes with a FREE STICKER. YESSSSSSS! anyway, equal lengths make a sound difference?
For what it's worth, I suspect that they do. But then again, they might not.
Off road pipes do for sure.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
understood. already have the offroad h-pipe and mufflers. just lookin to get a little more freedom for that exhaust. its definately loud enough for me already, but i wouldnt mind being a little more annoying when i come home late :eyebulge:

·
Registered
12 Posts
The sound is pretty much the same between all shorty headers....if you get long tubes, then it deepens alot. also noticed increase in power with long tubes. about once a year the mustang mags do a header article, testing around 8 sets or headers.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
I used to have equal length shorties and they were deeper and more aggressive sounding than unequal length shorty headers. But I switched back to unequal length because I got tired of how crowded and how much of a pain it was to work with equal length shorty headers.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just installed MAC unequals. 2 weeks ago. HTS coating still hangin in there and hasn't burned at all, yet.... have to wait and see.

I have the stock dual cat H-pipe with a Flowmaster 40 series delta flow cat back system. Sound changed with the new headers? Not a bit.

Worth putting on? Think the stock headers look crimped down from the outside? Wait till you pull them off and see how small the hole is by the time they threw a weld bead inside that tube. Seat of the pants feel different? Nothing really noticable. But after looking at the new tube size, the after markets just have to help the system flow better!

·
Registered
99 Posts
As far as the tailpipes go, they took almost all of the sound and a noticeable amount of power away from my car. My car didnt have anything after the mufflers when I bought it, it sounded great. I put on tailpipes and it sounded weak, and it felt a little different. On Monday I cut off the tailpipes and put some dump pipes on the mufflers, thats when I noticed really how much power the tailpipes were taking away.

·
Registered
18 Posts
There wont be a drastic change in the sound since you already have headers on. If you were going from manifolds to headers then there would be a change in sound. The main thing that they do is free up back pressure, but if it is a stock engine and since you have an o/r h pipe on you will lose low end torque.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.