Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaned up and painted the rotor hubs and outer edges with black dupli-color caliper paint then installed MGP black caliper covers also. Had installed caliper covers without painting calipers first but didn't like the look of the stock calipers still peeking out of the edges of the covers and the stock rotors still looked bad. Thought of replacing rotors to upgrade the looks but didn't really need or want to spend the money for just a better look when the performance of the stock setup is fine for my type of driving. So cleaned the entire caliper and rotors with soap and water and brushes then dried with a blower and spayed with brake cleaner and further scrubbed with a toothbrush. Used a rust remover on the rotor hubs and rinsed again and dried before putting 2 layers of caliber paint on the areas I wanted to dress up.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those look nice... I like the black!
Thanks will go nice with the foose black nitrous wheels when i put them on. the black wheels compliment the black gt/cs stripe i think

·
Registered
786 Posts
What a totally awesome show of pride in your car. It looks fantastic, and adds to the total picture of performance that you have. Nice job. This is what modding is all about, those personal touches that make your car stand out, that everyone doesn't do, or hasn't thought of yet because nobody told them it was possible. I plan to do this mod now in the future, cuz it looks totaly sweet, and will cost next to nothing. Thanks for the advice and congrats on a cooler look for your pony.

p.s. how did you get those rivvets (or hex heads) to stand out so nice, did you sand them after? or mask them? or paint the calipers without them on? Just currious, cuz it looks fantastic and I want to duplicate it (with torch red of course:shigrin)

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
That looks great man! I painted my calipers red with the Dupli-Color Kit as well. They turned out awesome!

Can you explain a little more what you did exactly to the rotors? I'm not really following what you did :)

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have painted calipers also, Have painted the rear ones many times.

Then I ran acrosss this. I think I'll make my own. :bigthumbsup

Custom Paint and Engraving

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a totally awesome show of pride in your car. It looks fantastic, and adds to the total picture of performance that you have. Nice job. This is what modding is all about, those personal touches that make your car stand out, that everyone doesn't do, or hasn't thought of yet because nobody told them it was possible. I plan to do this mod now in the future, cuz it looks totaly sweet, and will cost next to nothing. Thanks for the advice and congrats on a cooler look for your pony.

p.s. how did you get those rivvets (or hex heads) to stand out so nice, did you sand them after? or mask them? or paint the calipers without them on? Just currious, cuz it looks fantastic and I want to duplicate it (with torch red of course:shigrin)
Painted the calipers and rotor hub and outer rotor rim then installed the covers as they came from American Muscle and painted the caiper covers stainless steel mounting clips also

MGP Mustang Caliper Covers (Set of 4) - Black (05-10) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks great man! I painted my calipers red with the Dupli-Color Kit as well. They turned out awesome!

Can you explain a little more what you did exactly to the rotors? I'm not really following what you did :)
when I removed my wheels, (had all 4 off at same time), As I was painting the caliper covers I also painted the very outer edge of the rotors, the outside rim that has the slots in it, and also the rotor hubs just outside of the where the wheel mounting studs are, that grey round hub that gets all dirty and rusted including the surface of the rotors right before the area where the pads make contact with the rotor surface. If you look closely at the pics you'll see the area of the rotor right behind where the rims are attached is black also as well as the very outer rim of the rotor. Hard to see in the pics but I will post a more detailed pic of the brkaes without the wheels mounted when I change out my tires when my new rims come in.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have painted calipers also, Have painted the rear ones many times.

Then I ran acrosss this. I think I'll make my own. :bigthumbsup

Custom Paint and Engraving
Saw those also. I have those covers but just in the MGP stock black as in the pics. Found it looked better if you also painted the calipers and rotors before installing these covers as the covers still alow the stock caliper to peek out around the edges and sides. The stainless steel mounting clips also show so i painted them as well.

MGP Mustang Caliper Covers (Set of 4) - Black (05-10) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Nice look - really dresses it up. Have you had any issues with dirt/brake dust build-up within the covers?

Also, are those 18-inch rims? If so, what size tires do you have on them? My brother-in-law gave me a set of four rims exactly like yours and they are 18-inch rims, so I am looking to add some new tires to my car?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice look - really dresses it up. Have you had any issues with dirt/brake dust build-up within the covers?

Also, are those 18-inch rims? If so, what size tires do you have on them? My brother-in-law gave me a set of four rims exactly like yours and they are 18-inch rims, so I am looking to add some new tires to my car?
No build-up yet but just installed recently. Spray them off with every wash anyway.

Those are stock 18's with stock 235/50/18 tires all around. Changing my wheels to 20's and new tires also listed in my signature.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discount from MGP Caliper Covers

MGP Caliper Covers is offering a $21.00 discount off on our MGP Caliper Covers. Use coupon code afm1109 to receive your $21
discount on our Caliper Covers.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
your car looks great... i painted my calipers with the duplicolor as well and they turned out great.... this is the third car ive used it on now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.