Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The Comaro has given me inspiration to add some graphics to the hood of my Mustang, so I bought the red K368-S10-RD Hood Stripe Package from Graphic Express. This package has a pair of stripes that go on the hood bulge only. I will post some photos after I install the stripes.

My next step is to add amber lenses to the GT fog lights. Has anyone seen these on the market?

·
Registered
631 Posts

The Comaro has given me inspiration to add some graphics to the hood of my Mustang, so I bought the red K368-S10-RD Hood Stripe Package from Graphic Express. This package has a pair of stripes that go on the hood bulge only. I will post some photos after I install the stripes.

My next step is to add amber lenses to the GT fog lights. Has anyone seen these on the market?
I like the stripes. They look much better than the thin, full length stripes that comes stock.

I've looked and looked for amber lenses for the fog lights and I don't think they exist. The best solution I've been able to come up with is this:

Ford Mustang GT (2010, 2011) Fog Light Covers

·
Registered
357 Posts
Must be a Long Island Senior Citizen thing.
I have purchased but have yet to install my black pedestal spoiler and two black hood "spears". :bigthumbsup

I hope to have them on for "MUSTANGS ON THE BEACH" in Port Washington next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Bruce,
I like your picture of Ford's first fast street car, the Model "A" Ford!:winks

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Gorgeous car Vipe. Nothing looks better than a black car when its clean. I think the performance package wheels look best on black as well. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have you installed the stripes yet? I am trying to decide between those stripes or a regular hood blackout similar to the 2012 Boss 302.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
I just finished my stripes this morning about 1am. Loving my "pseudo-Boss" look :)

NIIIIIIICE! :bigthumbsup Not sure exactly what I'm getting with the tune and CAI, but it would be cool to throw up 330 on mine! :cooldude: I wouldn't post numbers unless I knew they were accurate though. Can't go wrong with 305 (it's official from Ford). Good stuff! I like it.

·
Registered
6,803 Posts
Must be a Long Island Senior Citizen thing.
I have purchased but have yet to install my black pedestal spoiler and two black hood "spears". :bigthumbsup

I hope to have them on for "MUSTANGS ON THE BEACH" in Port Washington next week.

Considering your existing pic: I don't like the idea of badging in general, but I am awfully tempted to buy the Tri-Bar Ponies. I've always liked them.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Love the stripe but somebody tell this new guy (me) what 305A means.

I think it's 305R and I'm guessing it refers to how much hp the V6 makes. Seems a little deceptive to me, as the numbering scheme usually refers to the engine size, not the power output. I guess 226 doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Lookin' good! I like the matte black on the gloss black. I'm thinking about doing the same thing with hood spears and deck lid decal.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
I just finished my stripes this morning about 1am. Loving my "pseudo-Boss" look :)
That's very well done VipeRS. Can't argue with matte on black!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

It's done. Today I installed a set of red Express Graphics on the hood of my Mustang. The job went well, but I have some tips for those of you brave enough to do this:

1. Immediately before starting the job, read all of the instructions, especially the "Don't Do" items because there will be some small bubbles and wrinkles in the graphic that you cannot get out with the squeegee. According to the instructions, small bubbles and wrinkles will come out by themselves;

2. Gather materials before starting and loose the cell phone because you need to work continuously and efficiently (not fast). You will need:

• bottle of Original Dawn Liquid Soap;
  • Naptha;
  • a squeegee;
  • painters tape;
  • a measuring tape;
  • scissors;
  • an Xacto knife with a #11 blade;
  • a felt tip marking pen;
  • a quart spray bottle to spray on the wetting agent (Dawn soap & water mixture);
  • a one-gallon bottle to mix the Dawn soap;
  • clean micro-fiber towel;
  • paper towels.
3. Although the there is a body line down the center of the 2011 - 2012 Mustang hood, it is difficult to mark it with tape because the line is shallow. Measure from the side edge of the hood to be sure you have the center;

4. Do a really good job cleaning the hood with Naptha. I did it 10 times using a new paper towel each time;

5. Do a good job of dry fitting the graphics. Use tape to along the edges of the backing paper to reposition the graphic on installation. Take measurements from body edges to assure symmetry. Put marks across the tape and the backing paper to assure the graphic will properly go back on later in the process;

6. When you peel off the backing paper, thoroughly wet the sticky surface of the graphic using the spray bottle. This enables sliding the graphic into position on the car;

7. Position the graphic on the car assuring all of your alignment marks match, and wet the top paper using the spray bottle;

8. Squeegee the decal to get the wetting mixture out from under the graphic. Keep the top surface wet to lubricate the squeegee;

9. Do all of the trimming while the backing is still on top of the graphic;

10. Carefully peel away the top paper. It may be necessary to put the top paper down over a spot that has a water bubble or wrinkle to squeegee it out. Don't run the squeegee on the graphic surface;

11. There were some bubbles that I thought were too large to go away without some help. I pin-pricked these with the Xacto knife blade point and pressed the wetting agent out;

Now its time to wait for the graphics to cure and see if the small bubbles and wrinkles go away as the instructions indicate. More to follow.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts