Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got some feedback from the vendor:

"We can sell you all four rotors for $320 if you want the black powder coated rotors. Or if you want the zinc plated Black High Temperature Rated Coated rotors it will be $360. They perform the same except the zinc plated coated rotors look better. We offere 90 days against cracking or warping. We use quality blanks from www.centricparts.com Then we do machine, balance and coat them. We have sold thousands of rotors over the past 3 years and have a great customer relationship. Reply to this email if interested. I see you are local so you can pick them up after we agree on this deal. Or if you want me to ship them add $20 to the total price. Thanks"

·
Registered
64 Posts
Loudog, I just purchased a Zinc coated set from these guys and expect to get them middle next week. Here's the skinney, they are going to make up my rotors to my specs. (zinc coated) and they didn't even ask for a deposit which I was eager to supply them with. (I like them already). If you can wait, I can give you feedback in a couple of weeks as I plan to have my calipers polished which will take some time and then all the stuff will go together. I've done all the Steeda suspension stuff and Tokico struts and rear shocks and with 18" wheels I figured a brake upgrade was in order. With the zinc plated slotted/crossed drilled rotors and the ceramic brake pads that will be applied, the thing should stop on a dime. e-mail me at [email protected] and I can give you more info. I've done extensive mods on my '05 GT and can help with some do's and don't's (is that right (don't's)??? Best regards, Mike

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Mike. I am in no hurry - I just basically want to know if they really do help with brake fade and/or stop better than stock. The brakes are one area I'm not completely thrilled with on this car. Don't get me wrong, they are adequate - just not great.

Man, you've done a number to your suspension, I can only guess as to how it handles.:smilie What was the impact to your ride quality? I'd love to see some write ups on your suspension mods, and on your new brake setup.

My wallet won't allow for any serious mods to the brakes like a Brembo setup right now, so was thinking this setup with the ceramic pads would be the ticket.

I am certainly interested in hearing your report back on how you like them, the quality, how the installation went, yada, yada, yada. Mike, please keep us in the loop! :thumbup

·
Registered
100 Posts
make sure they are legit first. Find out what the temp rating is on the rotors. If they are the same as stock, you'll be getting better rotors from them b/c of the slot/drill with the heat removal. But thats about it. make sure they can handle more heat and force than stock. Why pay that much money on a rotor that doesn't do anything but look pretty. Your best bet is to save up, get Stoptech, Brembo, etc.. Your getting a larger rotor, more pistions in your caliper, larger caliper, stronger pads and a VERY reliable system.

I made the mistake on my last car just buying CD rotors, and they were horible. Contact the manufactuer and see what the specs are on the rotor. Just my opinion, but there is no need to waste you money.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ants2005stang said:
make sure they are legit first. Find out what the temp rating is on the rotors. If they are the same as stock, you'll be getting better rotors from them b/c of the slot/drill with the heat removal. But thats about it. make sure they can handle more heat and force than stock. Why pay that much money on a rotor that doesn't do anything but look pretty. Your best bet is to save up, get Stoptech, Brembo, etc.. Your getting a larger rotor, more pistions in your caliper, larger caliper, stronger pads and a VERY reliable system.

I made the mistake on my last car just buying CD rotors, and they were horible. Contact the manufactuer and see what the specs are on the rotor. Just my opinion, but there is no need to waste you money.
Thank you for the feedback. This is where they get the blanks (www.centricparts.com), and they do indeed sound legit, but I don't know what specs you're talking about. Are there certain things I should be looking at - such as the material the rotors are made out of? I'm not sure what questions to be asking the vendor without sounding like an idiot (well, I may sound like an idiot, but that's a different issue :so).

·
Registered
100 Posts
I am only 19, so I do not always know how to ask the right thing. Your vendor will understand. But, basically, make sure they can handle more heat than your stocks. If you happen to get them, let us know how they work out.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I heard cross-drilled rotors aren't as good as slotted. When you drill through the rotor, it compromises the structural integrity of the rotor. I think they tend to warp easier. Hence, it won't last as long as the slotted.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've had slotted/cross drilled rotors on my previous vehicle and also have them on my '68 Camaro. All they do is stop better and shorter than stock and they don't fade easily. Of course the stock pads need to be replaced with semi-metallic or ceramic. One other benefit from the pads vs. stock is that there is virtually no brake dust to mess up your wheels. To compare the braking on my Camaro would not be fair as I went from a stock front rotor/rear drum set up to 4 wheel discs. On my other vehicle, I went from 16" to 18" wheels and with the slotted/cross drilled rotors and semi-metallic pads was able to stop a slightly shorter distance than with the OE rotors. Also, I had them for 35,000 miles with no cracking, warping, peeling, or flaking etc. I will post the results on my GT as soon as I get them installed. Should happen by the end of next week. We plan to do some 60 to zero braking distances both before and after. Stay tuned.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts