Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...
Just wondering what you guys think if drilled/slotted rotors.

Benefits? Disadvantages? Hype?
Worth the Cash? Certain Brands? Generics?

Also, could you guys leave some input on PAD preferences, ie. Brands of brake pads. what you have had good experiences and bad with. etc.

Thanks! and Merry CHRISTmas.

·
Registered
721 Posts
They look really cool. That's the main reason to get them. They do stay cooler, too. I had them on my BMW and they worked really well. I'm doing the Aerospace Components brake kit (front and rear) on my SN95 . . and they WILL be drilled and slotted.

Merry Christmas!!!

G

·
I've heard drilled rotors are prone to shattering. I don't know how easily they shatter or if it's anything to worry about on a street car though.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Ive never heard of them shattering. They are used on BMW's and Porsche's just to name two. I had the Bear kit on my car and the issue I came across was warping but that was a few years ago, im pretty sure the newer ones come with some type of guarantee against that type of problem.

G

·
I don't know if it's still a problem with drilled rotors, or if you could ever drive a street car under hard enough conditions to cause them to shatter. But someone started a thread about this a while back and people were saying they shatter. I remember someone who said they worked for a company that manufactured brake rotors and started to dimple them instead of drill all the way through so they wouldn't shatter as easily.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Vehicles that have holes in their rotors from the factory also have large, heavy rotors and the same in wheels. The holes are there to reduce unsprung weight. They are not there to reduce temperatures (that's what bi- or uni-directional vanes are for) or reduce out-gassing (modern-day pad material produces little or no gas).

Compare two rotors of the same diameter and thickness, one with holes and one without, and the one with holes will actually run hotter.

If you must have the bling (holes), you must increase the diameter and thickness of the rotor. And that means the existing calipers and wheels at the very least have to go as well, since a larger rotor won't fit. A better solution, if you have to have something other than factory-type rotors, is slots.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
truthfully im not looking for any increase in stopping power, i just want something that looks a little sharper behind the wheels.

i have heard that slotted rotors are really tough on pads and calipers.
any truth?

thanks for the input guys!

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
Im running drilled and slotted rotors and noticed a fair upgrade in stopping power. I also upgraded to maximum motorsports stainless steel brake caliper sleeves and 73mm brake calipers from a 89 Mark VII .

You can see how mine look here. Good article too.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/Detailed/2343.shtml

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.