Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Vegas and was up for emissions/registration last week. Took it in to Jiffy Smog (same place last year w/no issues) and got rejected for emissions as if the drive cycle was not completed.

Got a 15 day extension. A week prior, same dealership pulled my battery for routine maintenance and this obviously cleared my drive cycle. I'm well aware of all the steps involved in getting it completed but cannot get it to show ready to save my life.

Dealership also kept it for 48 hours and tried multiple attempts to no avail. I've put hundreds of miles on it trying to get the cycle done and the 3 following sensors still show not ready:

CAT (catalyst monitor),
O2S (O2 sensor monitor), and
HRT (O2 sensor heater monitor).

I have a BAMA tune w/steeda CAI. Been in touch with BAMA and they say the tune should have nothing to do with the readiness.

Ford would not do any further troubleshooting because of the mods. Worse case, I'll have to revert everything back to stock w/stock airbox but am trying to avoid that since my speedo will be off since I'm running 3.73 gears w/315,35,20's in the rear. (auto tranny)

Any help would be great.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
They do turn off those sensors in some of the tunes. My guess is you need to talk with someone else at Bama. Maybe PM one of the Bama guys on here.

·
Registered
191 Posts
They do turn off those sensors in some of the tunes. My guess is you need to talk with someone else at Bama. Maybe PM one of the Bama guys on here.
+1

If you're running a "race" tune from them your rear o2's are off.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Are you 100% positive that BAMA turns of the rear O2 sensors on the race tunes?

The reason I ask is because I always order performance and race tunes from BAMA based on 91 and 93 octane gas. I have aftermarket headers with cats. And my various tunes(I usually just use the race tunes) would cause a CEL and I finally had to specifically request for them to turn off my rear O2 sensors for all my recent tunes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you 100% positive that BAMA turns of the rear O2 sensors on the race tunes?

The reason I ask is because I always order performance and race tunes from BAMA based on 91 and 93 octane gas. I have aftermarket headers with cats. And my various tunes(I usually just use the race tunes) would cause a CEL and I finally had to specifically request for them to turn off my rear O2 sensors for all my recent tunes.
I'd like to know this as well. From what I've read they do not turn off O2's in the rear unless you specify off-road mid pipe, which I have not.

·
Registered
191 Posts
From what I have been told, on the race tunes the rear o2's are turned off. All of my race tunes turned them off and when I asked about passing emissions they told me to run the street tune to be safe because they may be off in the performance tune as well. Keep in mind, you can turn them off or on in any tune but I think by default they are off in the race tune.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'd like to know this as well. From what I've read they do not turn off O2's in the rear unless you specify off-road mid pipe, which I have not.
I was running long tubes and catted H and they were off in my race tune. I didn't request them to be turned off. The race tune is supposed to be more for off road use so I could see them turning them off by default.

·
Registered
191 Posts
This is on the AM website for Free tunes for life:

Race V2 (91-93 Octane, *Unleaded Race Fuel, **E85) - The Race Tune is designed for maximum performance and ensures the largest increase in vehicle performance. Using the highest grade of fuel available in your area is mandatory as timing, TiVCT, fuel, and throttle response settings are very aggressive. Automatic transmission settings implement entirely new shift points, torque converter changes and firmness settings designed for Track use. This file is designed for "Track Use Only".

·
Registered
191 Posts

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
best way to find out, is to call Bama and have them look up YOUR specific tune and see how it is programmed . . . I guess OP already tried this, but I am guessing maybe he got someone on the phone who did not know what they were doing, and that's why I was suggesting to try again and talk to someone else

·
Registered
191 Posts
best way to find out, is to call Bama and have them look up YOUR specific tune and see how it is programmed . . . I guess OP already tried this, but I am guessing maybe he got someone on the phone who did not know what they were doing, and that's why I was suggesting to try again and talk to someone else

Yep, been there and done that. Ask for a lead programmer.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I've had a few different variations of Bama tunes in my car and none of them have come with the rear O2 sensors turned "off".

DTCs P0420 and P0430 are usually set to "no error reported" rather than actually turning the sensors off.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info guys. I almost always use the street tune. I'll call AM tomorrow again and get them to confirm.

That been said, would the rear O2 sensors off cause this specific issue?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,542 Posts
. . . DTCs P0420 and P0430 are usually set to "no error reported" rather than actually turning the sensors off.
I'm pretty sure this is technically correct; and it causes the same problem with emissions testing for practical purposes.

I am not sure about the exact codes that the OP posted but it sounds related to me.

Unfortunately if you can't get anywhere with the Bama tune, you'll have to put it all back to stock. Or check with Steeda to see if they have an insert for that CAI that will allow you to run the factory tune long enough to get the emissions done.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
After some back and forth with AM for a week, it was definitely the tune. SOB, that was frustrating as all hell considering I checked in with them before doing anything. Anyway, all good now, passed smog and registered. Registered late but still registered.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Glad you were able to get it taken care of. :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts