Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon fellow Mustang lovers.

The Mustang in question is a 1978 Mustang ll. It's in great shape except for these two annoyances;

1-Can anyone tell me how to remove the driver's seat? The seat adjustment mechanism that locks the seat in place broke and now the seat slides back & forth, which makes it a challenge to drive. I need to fix it.

2-Also, how do you test the gas gauge and the electrical connection that operates it? The gauge stopped working, so it's tricky to drive the car not knowing if and when it's going to runout of gas.

Thanx.............
Zeeman78

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
Hello and welcome to AFM. Lets try your question in here.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have the gas guage problem with my car when I buy gas I write the mileage down. Then fill up when I think i'm getting low. I know my car gets about 24-26 miles to the gallon. So I fill up about every 200-300 miles.

·
Registered
6,124 Posts
Welcome to the site. The bolts that hold down the seat are under the car. You can remove your fuel sending unit and make sure that the float or wire didn't come lose.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Seat:

One track has the locking mechanism, the other is just along for the ride. The locking mechanism is secured by a spring. If the spring is missing or broken, it won't lock. Pull the seat as above and check the slider, lock and spring. Lube and repair as needed.

Gas guage:

Could be electrical, could be mechanical. If the brass float in the sender is leaking, the guage will work a little, but will mostly show empty. The float and seals are available from most of the MII parts suppliers...they actually cross to other year Mustangs. If its electrical, then you need to do standard sorts of troubleshooting (check fuses, check for voltage at the guage, pull the sender and check for continuity). In either case, the tank will need to be drained and the sender removed.

I highly recommend pulling the sender to replace the float and pickup sock (filter) in any case. A 30 year old car will have a lot of crud and rust in the gas tank. Eastwood Restoration sells a decent gas tank restoration kit if your tank is still solid.

List of MII parts vendors:

Mustang II Network - Parts and Service Information - Main Page

Let us know what you find.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.