Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I had a bit of an unpleasant surprise yesterday evening, just as I was about to embark on a 160km highway trip back home from my parent's place. I lowered my windows all the way down to cool the car, and when I brought them back up the driver's side window made loud staccato popping sounds on the way up.

I brought it up and down a few times to make sure the sound was persistent, which it was, and on the third try the window refused to come back up from the completely down position; in fact, it seemed to fall lower into the door than normal.

The passenger window was functioning fine, so it wasn't the fuse. I did not hear any motor noises from the driver's side door when pressing the button. At this point I started freaking out because it was a Sunday evening and I needed to be back in London on Monday. I came online to browse the manual to see how to remove the door panel and after a few minutes I came back to the car. On a whim I put the key back into the ignition and lo' and behold the window came right back up when I pressed the button.

I checked this morning and the popping sounds seem to be gone.

Anybody else have this happen to them?

·
Registered
883 Posts
My driver window makes a pop noise when I first push the up button from fully down. It happens every time it roll it up. I have no idea what causes it. But the window has never gotten stuck down.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I haven't experienced this myself, but this could be caused by somethng falling into the wondow area and getting stuck on the track. Are you seeing any markings on the window itself, like something is rubbing off on the window or any tracking lines at all?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
For some reason, those A.I windows always concern me. Note to self: keep windows rolled up.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't experienced this myself, but this could be caused by somethng falling into the wondow area and getting stuck on the track. Are you seeing any markings on the window itself, like something is rubbing off on the window or any tracking lines at all?
I just checked and there aren't any visible markings. I honestly have no idea what it could be. There is an initial pop once the window starts moving, and then these intermittent staccato pops along the way; it almost sounds like a gear slipping or something akin to that. In any case I am taking it into the dealership (against my better judgement) because I don't want to have my window disabled again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone ever figure this out? just started happening to me two months ago. No marks on the window. Really hard to tell what is causing it...doesn't seem to be any of the plastic on the door sill, something inside??

·
Registered
61 Posts
Only way to tell is to take the door panel apart and investigate, check the rails and the window regulator (the motor and cables). I've had it happen once on a past vehicle (Dodge Dakota) that the cable broke and the window dropped completely inside the door, could not pick it up without taking the door panel off. So I had to spend $120 right away for a new window regulator which consisted of the motor, lifting cable going around a couple pulleys and the center rail that bolts onto the window. It's all assembled into one unit, I think for most vehicles you can't replace any individual component of these things.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Only way to tell is to take the door panel apart and investigate, check the rails and the window regulator (the motor and cables). I've had it happen once on a past vehicle (Dodge Dakota) that the cable broke and the window dropped completely inside the door, could not pick it up without taking the door panel off. So I had to spend $120 right away for a new window regulator which consisted of the motor, lifting cable going around a couple pulleys and the center rail that bolts onto the window. It's all assembled into one unit, I think for most vehicles you can't replace any individual component of these things.
^ this. I also had this happen on a previous vehicle. There was a toothed rubber belt that ran over several toothed pulleys. At first, it made a loud racket going up and down, then it stopped completely when the belt broke..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts