Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been active here on the forums.. my grandpa passed away recently so my mother flew to Germany to deal with that, so I had to temporarily stay at the parents' ranch and manage everything there. Also, I got yet another tattoo during my absence from the site. Pic attached! :D

Anyway, I have a 2012 v6 automatic... sct tuner with 93R Bama tune, Airaid cai, and the rest is stock so far due to a general absence of money..lol. But I was looking at making an aluminum driveshaft my next big purchase. I raced a 2008 GT that decided to run up my ass the other day (I had the 89S tune on, cruise control set to 65mph and was getting 33mpg, woo!!), and ended up spanking him, hitting 142mph before I backed off as I was approaching slow traffic in both lanes. I've been discussing this with some people who suggest I buy a driveshaft, as apparently the stock ones are for crap at such high speeds. Yes, I know, I also need new tires, and more.. but it's not like I go 100mph and up every day, only once in a blue moon when people are being douches. LOL

What are your thoughts on this? Mustang Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft (2011-2012 V6) M4611A - Free Shipping!

Also, my purple 3m racing stripes have been holding up well! I ordered custom plates for $50 a year to have purple plates to match, not personalized lettering since that's like $200++ a year.. but when I got them they look like they say G-D0GHH...Lame. Lol. Miss G-Doghh is burning up the road! :p

Attachments

G

·
0 Posts
Dunno....what will an aluminum drive shaft do performance-wise? Or, more importantly, what do you think it will do?

And what's with the other picture?

·
Registered
51 Posts
I don't know much about drive shafts but I have a quick question;
On your car, did you put a GT hood or is that the stock v6 hood?

I'm only asking because it seems to have that hump in the center for a bigger engine which usually GT's have and not v6's.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Good idea !!

:bigthumbsupThat is a fine tattoo, the plate color matches purrfectly, and the driveshaft you are considering is a very fine unit, made in USA by Axle-Exchange. (I am in same boat as you). From the drive shaft exploding on dyno threads I've read, a one piece, lighter weight unit is the way to go.(consider at least a front safety hoop) The back half of the two peice is unsprung weight. A lighter shaft will put sprint in your takeoffs. It would be a no brainer mod on your pony. I admit the part is a little pricey, especially compared to 269.00 for the older Mustang V6s. Peice 'o mind is worth a million though. I have a pair of horseshoes tatted on my chest/heart area. I rode REAL mustangs long before ever considering purchasing a WICKED 'STANG car !! Things just work that way with me. Take care. LSECO

·
Registered
378 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Thats for the 05-10 V6.

This is for the 11+
Ford Mustang Aluminum Driveshaft 3.5" V6 Automatic 2011-12

A little more expensive and not sure how much shipping is.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Hello all,

It's been a while since I've been active here on the forums.. my grandpa passed away recently so my mother flew to Germany to deal with that, so I had to temporarily stay at the parents' ranch and manage everything there. Also, I got yet another tattoo during my absence from the site. Pic attached! :D

Anyway, I have a 2012 v6 automatic... sct tuner with 93R Bama tune, Airaid cai, and the rest is stock so far due to a general absence of money..lol. But I was looking at making an aluminum driveshaft my next big purchase. I raced a 2008 GT that decided to run up my ass the other day (I had the 89S tune on, cruise control set to 65mph and was getting 33mpg, woo!!), and ended up spanking him, hitting 142mph before I backed off as I was approaching slow traffic in both lanes. I've been discussing this with some people who suggest I buy a driveshaft, as apparently the stock ones are for crap at such high speeds. Yes, I know, I also need new tires, and more.. but it's not like I go 100mph and up every day, only once in a blue moon when people are being douches. LOL

What are your thoughts on this? Mustang Aluminum One Piece Driveshaft (2011-2012 V6) M4611A - Free Shipping!

Also, my purple 3m racing stripes have been holding up well! I ordered custom plates for $50 a year to have purple plates to match, not personalized lettering since that's like $200++ a year.. but when I got them they look like they say G-D0GHH...Lame. Lol. Miss G-Doghh is burning up the road! :p
Sorry to hear about your Grandpa.

There is plenty of informatio on driveshafts over in the 2011+ v6 forum.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Hello all,

Hey, Victoria!

The Axle-Exchange drive-shaft you linked to and this BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop will be the two best safety/performance mods you do for your 2011+ V6. You'll improve your 60' times at the track, you'll eliminate rotating mass from the drive-train, making it rev up more freely/quickly which means you go faster and most importantly, it means you can go beyond the stock speed-limiter with confidence.

We've sold dozens of these Axle-Exchange units, which are made in New Jersey, with absolutely zero returns. On top of that, we've got one in our (formerly) fastest 2011+V6 mustang that ran 11.79s in the 1/4mile and threw down 440+whp and has been beat up on the dyno and the street repeatedly. With hundreds of dyno pulls, trips to the track and street-tuning, this driveshaft is sure to hold up to anything you can throw at it. Also, don't forget that we offer the 6% forums discount. If you need it, hit me up via PM and I can help you out.

I hope this helps. Have a good one, everybody!:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Im on the fence about this now since i went to a local speed shop and the guy showed me a 1100 hp gt500 with the stock two piece , i used to think it was a must have but i dont any more after seeing that

·
Banned
293 Posts
Im on the fence about this now since i went to a local speed shop and the guy showed me a 1100 hp gt500 with the stock two piece , i used to think it was a must have but i dont any more after seeing that
They're talking about the v6 piece which is known to explode under a number of different circumstances/ speeds. I haven't heard the same issues on the GT so I wouldn't worry about if I were you

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quick response to everyone..

Yes, that hood is stock. My dad likes it better than his stock 05 GT hood, too.
I only rode one mustang when we still had to rent stalls before buying a farm of our own. All the rest have been quarter horses and thoroughbreds, including our old Secretariat son stallion.

Chris thank you so much for the help! I think AM is going to be costing me about half of my paycheck every month, lol. Y'all should have credit cards!! ;P

I would gladly post more tattoo pics like the ones I put in that old thread, but I fear the moderators may end up hating me..lol

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
Chris, is this DS a 3.5" or a 4" unit?

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Journal
They're 4" OD. The Axle Exchange can make it in 3.5" OD should you require that size for clearance purposes. Hit me up via PM if you need a price on their 3.5" model.

While an aluminum driveshaft is a great upgrade for any model, it's not so much a requirement on the GT models as it is the V6. The 2011+ V6 models' driveshafts do not like higher speeds and replacing them with one of our Axle Exchange units is the best way to not only get great performance, but also the security and peace of mind knowing that your good to go at north of 100mph.

Chris thank you so much for the help! I think AM is going to be costing me about half of my paycheck every month, lol. Y'all should have credit cards!! ;P
Let me know, Victoria, and I can just set up a direct deposit for us to collect half of it every month:bigthumbsup J/P! But in all seriousness, we do offer Bill Me Later, which is essentially 0% financing for up to 6 months. Are you familiar with it or have you used it at all? If not, I'd check it out! It's a great way to buy something now, pay it off gradually and not owe any extra money if you pay early or on time.

I hope this helps! Have a great weekend!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts