Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently took out the 3.3 motor and the 4 speed top loader for a rebuild. After reinstalling everything, we went to put the driveshaft back in. The yoke will now only penetrate 2 inches and then meets resistance. The teeth on the transmission don't even reach the teeth on the yoke, which are recessed about 3 inches into the yoke. Does anyone have a suggestion?

·
Super Moderator
1,642 Posts
Welcome to AFM!

Please read the Site Rules and be sure to complete your account details.

We’re glad you’ve joined us.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Has something fallen into the end of the tails haft, a nut or apiece of debris?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No nut or debris. Feels like the yoke encounters something solid all the way around the spline. The teeth never even meet.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Is it possible that your rebuilder replaced the tailshaft on your transmission, and put in the wrong number of splines for the new shaft?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We were the rebuilders and used the same shaft and yoke. The splines don't even come into contact as the yoke encounters resistance after being inserted about 2 inches. It takes 3 inches to have the teeth come into contact.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Is it something dumb like the seal being very dry? Did you dab some motor or gear oil on it? (Also, not calling YOU dumb! I hope it is something simple; the kind of thing I usually struggle with for hours and then figure out because I forgot or didn't know some small detail)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts