Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know if anybody else has this problem but at least once a night while i'm driving and i have both head and fog lights one i get people that flash their brights at me like i have my high beams on...i've even been pulled over because of it...i just recently had my lights adjusted so its not like ones tilted up or anything and i have the stock bulbs in there also..anybody else deal with this alot???

·
Registered
25,075 Posts
Sadly your not alone, If I use my fogs, I keep my hand on the high beam/light signal. I hit back full force. Last week in a 10 mile stretch I was hit no less than 10 times. WTHeck??? They are not close enough to even look like high beams???? They hit the ground area and wide, never did I see them effect another driving. Oh well I will be moving mine to the center one day!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I thought this might be an issue but oddly so far not. Never have I been flashed. Though it might be due to the fact that my driving lamps are HID and the fog lamps are normal. So they appear different. I don't know, but not a problem so far.

·
Registered
25,075 Posts
I thought this might be an issue but oddly so far not. Never have I been flashed. Though it might be due to the fact that my driving lamps are HID and the fog lamps are normal. So they appear different. I don't know, but not a problem so far.

May have to try that!!

·
Registered
10,876 Posts
I think some people see what looks like 4 head light and they think high beams. I only use the fogs when its raining or fog if I get cought with the car in that weather. I just flash them back. They get the message.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
it seem that I get flashed less now that I moved the fogs to the center.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Flashed once ... buy another car that is.:scratchchin

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
People will flash an oncoming car to let them know that their lights are causing too much glare, making it hard for other drivers to see anything but you. You get flashed 10 ten times in one trip. What does that tell you?

·
Registered
25,075 Posts
Actually I can see the drivers coming my way, my lights do NOT shine or reflect in their face one bit! People see the four lights and automatically assume they are brights. As soon as I hit the high beams, they get it full face.
What I find bright are the hallogen lights, those suck! But I do not high beam anyone over it.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I get flashed everytime I use em. I don't bother using them anymore because I'm tired of learning people that they're not the Headlight Inspectors.

·
Registered
25,075 Posts
That really blows though! Just like I said about the Halogen or other "high" Intensity lights. They are bright, Most of the time I swear they have their brights on, but they are not positioned high enough to be. So I just turn my head, grin and bear it. I have and never will high beam someone for those. Crap I'd go blind LOL

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have the HID's along with Silverstars in the foglights. I get it every now and then and I just flash back. I know there are trucks that have brighter lights so who cares. It came from the factory like that and state law states I am within the law.

The worst one was when I was driving down to school, about a 2 hour drive and I was behind a guy for a long stretch of road and I noticed he kept slowing down and screwing with me. The road finally changed to 2 lanes and I got ahead of him and we both stopped at a stoplight. I was just waiting there and the next thing I know the guy is screaming at me that I'm a dumbass and I'm breaking the law. I shot back with hey, I have 4 lights on the front of my car...that's legal and he didn't like that, he still thought I was the wrong one. Then I pointed out about 10 cars around us that had more lights than me and he just scoffed. Some people, huh? My mom was in the car and I couldn't believe some of the words this guy used.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm a bit surprised by some of the replies here... or maybe my information is completely out of whack (including my grandfathers). Mustangs do NOT have fog lamps... we have DRIVING LAMPS in addition to our headlights.

Driving lights (as they are still called) are for additional lighting and were used mainly in older cars (like the '69 Mustangs) when lighting was NOT so dominant in areas and also rally cars when they're racing on the countryside and there are no lights.

Automotive lighting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Driving lamps

[/URL]
High/full beam augmented by auxiliary lights

"Driving lamp" is a term deriving from the early days of nighttime driving, when it was relatively rare to encounter an opposing vehicle. Only on those rare occasions when one did briefly face opposing traffic would one use the dimmed or "passing beam". The full or "bright" beam was therefore known as the [B]driving beam[/B], and this terminology is still found in international [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ECE_Regulations"]ECE Regulations[/URL], which do not distinguish between a vehicle's primary (mandatory) and auxiliary (optional) upper/driving beam lamps.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_lights#cite_note-6"][7][/URL][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_lights#cite_note-7"][8][/URL][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_lights#cite_note-8"][9][/URL] The "driving beam" term has been supplanted in North American regulations by the functionally descriptive term [B]auxiliary high-beam lamp[/B].[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driving_lights#cite_note-9"][10][/URL] They are most notably fitted on [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rallying"]rallying[/URL] cars, and are occasionally fitted to production vehicles derived from or imitating such cars. They are common in countries with large stretches of unlit roads, or in regions such as the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_countries"]Nordic countries[/URL] where the period of daylight is short during winter. Some countries may pose limitations on usage of driving lamps or any auxiliary lamps. For example, in Russia it is allowed to install no more than three pairs of lights (including standard lights installed on factory) on a road-legal vehicle. There are limitations on location of the lights too.

If you drive with your "driving lights" on, realize you are in essence shooting about an additional 60% more light into someones face that's oncoming. Also realize that driving lights are NOT directional meaning they shoot light out at a full radius whereas your low beams are angled down more towards the road. I flashed a Mustang 3 nights ago for blinding me in the middle of the CITY at night with his. They ARE bright and NOT needed in the middle of the city.

When I'm driving back from my grandmothers in the countryside the low beams with driving lights work better for me than my actual high-beams... and there is ZERO light out there except for the moon.

Have someone drive your car and you drive theirs and let me know if the driving lights aren't a little too much when they're coming in your face ;)

[QUOTE="travelers, post: 980024, member: 36829"]I think some people see what looks like 4 head light and they think high beams. I only use the fogs when its raining or fog if I get cought with the car in that weather. I just flash them back. They get the message.[/quote]

Hmmm, you may NOT want to use your "fog lights" in fog. It's a misconception that the additional lights on our vehicles are fog lights but they are NOT foglights. Trust me on this. REAL foglights are yellow in color and do not reflect off fog / snow as much as the regular lights that now sit in the fog light housings.

Don't believe me, next time you're driving in a blizzard, put on those "fog lights" and let me know how well you can see with them on. Hell, if you don't have fog lights, use high beams in a blizzard. So much light will reflect back you'll be even more blind.

You want real fog lights, get the actual lights and I assure you your visibility in actual fog / blizzards will increase.

[QUOTE="stlwagon, post: 980130, member: 26926"]I've only been flashed a couple of time in 3 years.[/quote]

Seems like you've been deprived. Hmmm, there's an annual biker show in Central NY in the summer, August I think :scratchchin... I bet you'll get flashed 3 times in the first 20 minutes.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I've been flashed several times....but that was at Mardi Gras in New Orleans.....:evillol:

·
Registered
541 Posts
Since mine are low down in the bumper, approx 8" off the ground, mine are fog lights, and work very well on foggy days.

Luckily I don't deal with blizzards here, but I would not use them in a blizzard, as the snow is too reflective, brighter light just makes for less visibility, regardless of where your lights are placed. :)

Besides if you are talking to someone and called them driving lights, most people would assume you are talking about the headlights, where as if you call them fog lights, people immediately you are talking about an additional set of lights.

It's more of a generic term than a literal term.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Besides if you are talking to someone and called them driving lights, most people would assume you are talking about the headlights, where as if you call them fog lights, people immediately you are talking about an additional set of lights.

It's more of a generic term than a literal term.
Agreed, but talking to someone about that something and that something being actually used are two different situations. You are NOT going to be blinded by lights when talking about them whether you call them driving lights or fog lights.

In other words, just because you call them "fog lights" does not mean they are any less brighter in a persons face.

If a dog takes a dump on your lawn, it's going to smell the same whether you call it "Poo" or a "Pile of $h!t", right?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I found the description for FOG LIGHTS even more interesting in the above linked wikipedia article...

Fog lamps

Front fog lamps provide a wide, bar-shaped beam of light with a sharp cutoff at the top, and are generally aimed and mounted low. They may be either white or selective yellow. They are intended for use at low speed to increase the illumination directed towards the road surface and verges in conditions of poor visibility due to rain, fog, dust or snow. As such, they are often most effectively used in place of dipped-beam headlamps, reducing the glareback from fog or falling snow, although the legality varies by jurisdiction of using front fog lamps without low beam headlamps.
Use of the front fog lamps when visibility is not seriously reduced is often prohibited (for example in the United Kingdom), as they can cause increased glare to other drivers, particularly in wet pavement conditions, as well as harming the driver's own vision due to excessive foreground illumination.

The respective purposes of front fog lamps and driving lamps are often confused, due in part to the misconcepion that fog lamps are necessarilyselective yellow,while any auxiliary lamp that makes white light is a driving lamp. Automakers and aftermarket parts and accessories suppliers frequently refer interchangeably to "fog lamps" and "driving lamps" (or "fog/driving lamps"). In most countries, weather conditions rarely necessitate the use of fog lamps, and there is no legal requirement for them, so their primary purpose is frequently cosmetic. They are often available as optional extras or only on higher trim levels of many cars. Studies have shown that in North America more people inappropriately use their fog lamps in dry weather than use them properly in poor weather.

If everyone spelled the word strategy with an 'i' instead of an 'e' like so "stratigy", would that make it right? I'd rather be correct than fit in with the misinformed.

Mustang owners, you have DRIVING LIGHTS, NOT FOG LIGHTS and they can blind other people... their purpose is to provide significantly more light to see in low light situations, not help you see better in bad weather.

·
Registered
568 Posts
The funny thing is, in the S197's, when you have the driving lights on, and then hit the high beams, the driving lights go out. So, by definition, an S197 with all four lights on has its low beams on!

For the record, I'm a jerk and drive with all four lights on at night, but I'm doing my driving out in the country. In the daytime, if it's kind of a gray day (or I'm going through construction) I'll put only the driving lights on, but not the headlights just to be different.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.