Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting some pretty bad drone from like 1800-2100rpm. I've been wondering how to help fix this problem? I like the axle-back that I have and have been thinking maybe an after-market X-pipe could help. My roommate has the same Magnaflow setup on his 11 GT but with the X-pipe and his sounds better than mine :so. Anyone know what might help rid me of the drone?

Also just curious what kind of X-pipes you guys are running? Anyone do LT headers with our gt500s? I've heard bad things about LTs with the gt500s, but I am curious what your experience has to say. THANKS

S

·
0 Posts
Aftermarket x-pipes won't help your drone, it'll get louder along with overall exhaust volume. I had the Magnaflows on then went to Lethal's high flow catted X - no help. Switched to Stingers which while having a glorious sounding exhaust rumble, also have increased drone exponentially! So I then switched to a set of '10 GT500 take-off axlebacks (much better sounding than the '07-'09 stockers) and it's eliminated drone completely while still giving a decent sounding exhaust note. This'll do until I completely rethink the entire exhaust setup at some point.

I have read of some installing a set of resonators behind the X helps a lot with the drone, but haven't heard such a setup myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
One thing i did was tape sound-deadening material in the trunk. It is a real cheap fix.

Just go buy insulation, take out the spare, and tape the stuff in place. Tape it onto the actual trunk metal, then put the spare tire and interior back in.

Just so you know, this will not cancel drone. But it will reduce the interior noise a little. It is cheap and helps, but you will still have the drone. Most of all, I think it helps with the vibration.

I feel your pain. I got the flowmaster axleback hushpower. It sounds so great outside, and even the guys at the ford dealership say my car has the best sounding exhuast they have ever hear. But they don't have to drive it. But this should help.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
You don't want long tubes if you're complaining about drone or any noise for that matter as they are just loud.

Does your system have resonators? If not put some in and stagger them so one is farther back than the other. drone can be caused by identical sounds coming from two locations they reinforce one another at certain frequencies. By staggering the resonators the tone from each tail pipe is slightly different than the other so they can't reinforce one another and even cancel some sounds as they are out of phase.

This is an inexpensive Pypes Supersystem no drone at all with the staggered mid mufflers, Magnaflow X pipe. Sounds really nice and gets pretty aggressive when you push it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Or just install one resonator, it will make each exhaust pipe make a different note, eliminating or at least reducing resonance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts