Ford Mustang Forum banner

Droning on and on.

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  smedin 
Don't mind the drone

I don't mind the droning sound, as long as it isn't too piercing. My 5.0L truck does it at certain RPMs and more when it is cold. I like it.

Once warm and everything is running happy, at about 5,000 RPM it sounds pissed off. Like it is screaming mad. RRRRRRRRRR!!!!! Not really a sound I can put into words.

http://www.throttlehorseracing.com/video_gallery/2005%20Mustang%20gt%20JBA%20exhaust.wmv

Is a video of JBAs that sounds nice. However, some on this list have actually pulled their JBAs because they sounded so crappy! Replaced them with GT takeoffs. I dunno, I like the sound.

Would you all say you need dual exhaust to generate a real drone? Need to have another pipe/muffler to set up a harmonic at a cerain pitch, like a tuning fork being placed near another tuning fork set to the same pitch?

kj_cinci said:
I once (don't kill me) got a ride in a swooped up VTEC, gosch was there a drone! Heck I think he had the droning muff welded to the sub frame!!

And listening on the outside you can allready hear the drone on most of them so nope, a single will do it!
While coming out of the grocery store, I heard a fartcan going by. It occurs to me that it is possible that the muffler on those things is designed to be entirely drone. Imagine one of those things on a real car? I always wondered what it would sound like on my 3.8 Taurus. The 3.8 has the same bore and stroke as the 5.0L so, with a regular muffler, it should have the same *tone*, right? Only 3/4 as loud? I wonder....

Flowmasters on a Taurus? That is almost ricey in it's desire to be what it's not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.