Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got my Mustang for christmas and have really began considering racing, once im comfortable driving and stuff (im 15). I tell my father that I want to make the car faster and all he says is to save up my money and buy a V8 (he had a 1983 Mustang GT 5.0l). I have been looking at them but i began wondering, is it cheaper and/or just as succesful to just drop a V8 engine into my car. Is this a very difficult proccess or whatever, and will it be just as good as any GT?
I figured that if I did this I would probably have the edge on most GT's anyways seeing as though the car itself is lighter than a GT.

Any Suggestions/Answers to my questions above will be appreciated.

Thanks,
John

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
what year is your mustang?

imho i think it would be cheaper and easier to mod your V6 than to swap engine; the money you would spend on a V8, you could spend on your V6 and blow the doors off a stock 2V V8.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
start with the regular bolt on's, CAI, UDP's, exhuast, tuner, etc etc.
a split port swap would be an excellent mod for your car, you would see a gain of around 40hp:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
344 Posts
sence its a 98 i would just modd it because to drop in a modular in you need to mess with a huge junk of wireing(which isn't a big deal but with no experience it can be)

·
Registered
252 Posts
u need a 94-95 k member and possibly a new transmission depending how much torque the v8 has. oh and what kind of v8? you could just mod ur v6 cuz it would be cheaper andmore economical for daily driving and stuff! ps are u lookin modular v8 or carbed engine?? :headscratch:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im not really sure. My father could probably help me drop one in too by the way so I would have help. If I dont drop one in and do mod the 6 then what would be some good mods. I was thinking 4.10 gears in the rear, CAI, true duals, UDP's, anything else? And with what I have listed there would I be able to keep up with the GT's or not?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Im not really sure. My father could probably help me drop one in too by the way so I would have help. If I dont drop one in and do mod the 6 then what would be some good mods. I was thinking 4.10 gears in the rear, CAI, true duals, UDP's, anything else? And with what I have listed there would I be able to keep up with the GT's or not?

Thanks for all the help.
With the mods listed no you wouldn't keep up with a GT.

There are a lot of factors here. How many miles are on the car? How much are you planning to spend? What is your overall goal?

If your car has over 90k miles then I'd say you should leave it as is and save up for a college car; but not nessecarily a v8. You could get a 05+ v6 and go with a power adder. With a little boost those 4.0's can hit 350 to the crank quite easily.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I would actually take your dad's advice.

I would do some bolt-ons to your V6 to make it a nice reliable daily driver. Then look at getting a fox 5.0L, you could pick one up for anywhere between 2500-6000 depending on miles and condition. They are way cheaper to modify than the V6, much lighter than any newer mustang, and everyone makes stuff for them.

Could make an easy 12 sec fox for nothing, not as easy to do with a V6 stang (except with nitrous).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the mods listed no you wouldn't keep up with a GT.

There are a lot of factors here. How many miles are on the car? How much are you planning to spend? What is your overall goal?

If your car has over 90k miles then I'd say you should leave it as is and save up for a college car; but not nessecarily a v8. You could get a 05+ v6 and go with a power adder. With a little boost those 4.0's can hit 350 to the crank quite easily.

Ive got only 69K miles on it. What else would I need to do to the engine to make it competitive?
And at tracks are there cetain classes that I could run in and do well?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
And also I have been looking at the Foxbodies and really would like to get one but it seems hard to find many in decent shape for "cheap."

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Ive got only 69K miles on it. What else would I need to do to the engine to make it competitive?
And at tracks are there cetain classes that I could run in and do well?

Thanks for all the suggestions.
And also I have been looking at the Foxbodies and really would like to get one but it seems hard to find many in decent shape for "cheap."
Low miles for a 98.
Well it depends on what branch of GT's you want to be competitive with. GT's of your year model all you'd have to add to your list would be a split port swap, t-lok, and tune. But to keep up with the new GT's you'd have to dig deep into the motor or probably go with a power adder.

As far as racing at the track, I'm not sure about classes. I havn't done it much myself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.