Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i like to drive, race, my auto in the manuel mode, 1-2-3 ... but it seems i cant just drop gears whenever i want like a stick man can. when i shift up my redlines are about 1-2 at 25mph 2-3 at 45 and 3-4 60 and so on
but lets say im in 4th gear cruising at 50, and some ded wants to race next to me, i have3 to slow to about 39 to throw it into 3rd, whithout hearing grinding and jerking, and to put it into 2nd go down to 19. how do sticks differ in this. can i change this?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
sorry man, nothing against autos, but you'll never get that thing to perform like a stick. the difference is torque converter vs. clutch. even though your shifting the gears, that converter is still trying to do its job of matching the right gears for rpm and speed. i dont know of anyway to make it perform like a stick. wonder how hard it is swap out to a manual.... believe the console is the same. have to get the linkage, pedal, driveshaft??, mounts, and a reflash for sure.... its the only way you will get that manual feel...:tongue your gonna want to upgrade to the 3.55 rear end too... if it were me and i decided i wanted the manual i would be contacting my dealer for a trade in...

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Tuner

Can you get a tune for tightening up your shifts? Treat your tranny like it was attached to a truck, used for hauling/towing and the shifts will bounce your noggin off the headrests. You will feel the car surge forward under your butt and hear chirps like someone hit a crow, with a hammer.

That is, assuming you can adjust your shifts with your tuner.

It will make it a little sportier driving in the rain and forget about snow. You won't be able to shift gently enough to keep the tires planted but on dry pavement, it is off to the races. You will feel a little movement, left/right, from the rear end, on shifts too, as the tires break a little loose.

-David

G

·
my 2000 is an auto... i've done alot to it...it doesnt approach my 06gt but being in the position to compare i will say that a gear swap is the way to go...after i put my 3.73s in the auto it made a world of difference...a manual will beat an auto off the line any day of the week..no gettin around it...but so what? that extra second off the launch doesnt matter in a decent race anyway...and it absolutely doesnt matter on the highway...having driven both of my babies on extremely long road trips...i actually prefer the auto for the distance....auto versus manual? who can truly say which is better? judge it for yourself before you switch bro....its all a preference

Attachments

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check My Sig, I Have 4.10"s

G

·
you dropped in 4.10s and youre still not satisfied...you sick freak....jk...seriously...i've always been interested in how 4.10s affect top speed...i'd rather be able to hit 150 on the interstate if i gotta smoke smokey than smoke a ricer at the stoplight...knowwhatimean?

·
Registered
554 Posts
nghtrnnr said:
you dropped in 4.10s and youre still not satisfied...you sick freak....jk...seriously...i've always been interested in how 4.10s affect top speed...i'd rather be able to hit 150 on the interstate if i gotta smoke smokey than smoke a ricer at the stoplight...knowwhatimean?
Nope, please explain. 150 is fast, but not fast enough to outrun a radio:)

G

·
thats debatable....but i really want to know...whats the top speed affect of his 4.10s....cause when i put in my 3.73s on my 2000 i couldnt go as fast ...you know...reg gears are slow to get to 120 and top out...but 3.73s were fast to get to 105 and top out with the speed governor...so i would smoke a rx8 at the line but he would pass and smoke me around 110

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i've gone 150 plenty of times, with my 4.10's. i can cruise at 100, or 110 very easily. the 4.10's effect my tires the most, bc i can just roast them any day i want, just from smashing the gas at a stoplight. everyone should have 4.10" in an 05 06 manual or auto, unless you want a supercharger, get 3.73's or 3.90's.

and yes i am sick, i have thought about 4.30's and i have a daily driver.

later

G

·
k....then what about the gas mileage...and did you have to reinforce the frame to keep it from bending under the power? when i put in the 3.73 everyone was saying 4.10 would be too much but i'm not seeing too many drawbacks from yours...were there any concerns at all?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gas mileage is down a little but i dont pay attention to that. i just pay attention to the smile on my face. the only concern with any gear change is the installation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts