Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
super duper easy. Just make sure you disconnect the filler neck so you dont break it.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Good write up here on AFM: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/5-0l-tech/135252-fuel-pump-replacement-diy.html

Much easier with two people but can be done solo. I added some comments at bottom of that post as I just recently did this a few months ago using the how-to.

Getting the filler tube into the grommet when reinstalling the tank is the biggest PITA and where a helper comes in very handy.

If you are worried about how things look, get some spray paint or POR-15 to coat the tank and clean everything up. Also a good time to paint the brackets that hold the tank in place.

Good chance the fuel pump assembly is rusted. I would recommend buying new one before you drop tank.

A motorcycle jack under the tank to lower and raise it works awesome:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
As stated above it's not that difficult to do especially if you have a friend help.
Time wise depends on the individual so anywhere from 20 min to 2 hrs.

·
Registered
511 Posts
if you do it by yourself make sure you siphon most of the remaining fuel out. things can get interesting when your trying to balance a 1/4 full tank on a jack while fuel is sloshing around back and forth:D

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Yep. Empty every drop you can or gas will slosh out the filler hole:yup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
is the sending unit for the fuel gauge part of the fuel pump? my gauge is stuck in the up position

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
No. Sending unit is separate. There is a hole for each.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Im not positive but i believe you can access the sending unit from the trunk in hatchbacks? Only took me 15 minutes to drop the tank.. I just dropped it onto my chest then rolled out from under the car on a creeper. VERY easy, just 2 bolts that hold the straps up, and the bolts on the filler tube.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts