Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, in the never ending list of to do's and upgrades for my mustang, I am almost ready to do the brakes. I have a 65 6 cylinder with drum brakes, and it has 4 luggs. Since disk brakes for mustangs came with the v8 5 lugg design, I need to change the Spindles (is that the right part name?). When calling a used parts vendor (Mustang Parts in Dublin, CA), I was informed that the spindles are only avaible used and are getting hard to find. A quick look at my interchange manual indicates that the 5 lug spindles are avaible on 65 comets, falcons, and 65-68 Mustangs. My questions are this;

1. Is this guy full of beans?

2. Does anyone know of any additional cars that used the same spindles, or something simular enough that would not need major hacking to work?

or

3. Does anyone know of a company that makes replaicment spindles? Or have a pair of them I can purchase?

and lastly

4. Do I need a pair for my rear brakes as well?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just replaced my V8 drums with a kit from Stainless Steel Brakes (SSBC).You may want to check if they have a kit for V6's.

Also, I believe MPBrakes provide spindles and certainly the Granada upgrade requires new spindles (and tie-rod ends I think). Lots of choices out there.
The SSBC kit was best for me and worked a charm :strut

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Spindles from a 75-80 Granada will fit the 65-66 Mustang and give you a disc brake upgrade.

·
Registered
144 Posts
:shocked: Just in case: If you do go used spindles, check for scarring or blueing(?) of the shaft. If it is/has either, PASS, they will be more trouble than they are worth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used some on mine out of a 64 comet, though the tie rods are different sizes and I had to put the v8 outer tie rods on. I am also putting the flamming river rack n' pinion kit on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just put disk brakes on my '68 about a week ago. I got some off of an old granada. Its a pretty simple setup. Just swap everything, and get Granada tie rods (if you decide to go that route). You might have to grind down the caliper a little bit if it rubs on the rim. I had to, nothing big.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Parts quest is over.

Thanks for the advice. I picked up a nice used pair of v8 brakes and spindles from The Mustang Ranch in Fresno for not too much. Now comes the process of disassembly and refurbishment. When I called around to the various junk yards locally, they were quoting me prices of 700 for JUST the spindles due to rarety. When Mustang Ranch told me 350 for the whole assembly, I jumped. lol. I will be getting a website on rank my ride or something simular soon to detail the various projects I am doing with it.

Thanks for the advice guys (and gals), and hopefully I will be able to be here more often now that my lap top is up and running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.