Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like my driveshaft is rubbing a little bit. I'm on sportlines for reference. Should i be concerned with this?

·
Banned
2,225 Posts
I would be. What is it rubbing on? Can the bracket or whatever it is rubbing on be trimmed, bent or reformed to clear without affecting its function or strength?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly my jack is broken so i only backed it up on some ramps and i noticed. i need to get it on stands so i can see better. I can't see what its rubbing on, looks like the further part is rubbing on that black plastic but i think its from the gas tank so i dont know how comfortable i'd feel trimming it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Take drive shaft off car. Find spot it is rubbing against. Use a file to grind area down.. Re install drive shaft. Fixt.

·
Registered
555 Posts
No rub on mine... Check the length of the smaller diameter shaft at the back of the DSS shaft. I think the proper length was 3.25 to 3.75 inches showing (just went and looked). You should also check your pinion angle to make sure it's not off by some crazy amount.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Banned
950 Posts
If you're rubbing you would hear it.. do you have any shaft noise? No need to take it off just put it on stands throw it in nuetral and turn the shaft..

·
Banned
794 Posts
it looks like it's hitting on the edge of the metal shield in the tunnel. I would remove the driveshaft and take a cut off wheel and remove the edge where it's hitting. then either put a piece if rubber tubing over the edge or just roll the edge upward.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No rub on mine... Check the length of the smaller diameter shaft at the back of the DSS shaft. I think the proper length was 3.25 to 3.75 inches showing (just went and looked). You should also check your pinion angle to make sure it's not off by some crazy amount.
Yeah i had it measured after it was installed it should be good, i'll check it again to make sure it hasn't moved or something.

If you're rubbing you would hear it.. do you have any shaft noise? No need to take it off just put it on stands throw it in nuetral and turn the shaft..
I dont hear anything abnormal. I will try the neutral technique.

it looks like it's hitting on the edge of the metal shield in the tunnel. I would remove the driveshaft and take a cut off wheel and remove the edge where it's hitting. then either put a piece if rubber tubing over the edge or just roll the edge upward.
thanks for the insight, ill keep it in mind if i need to cut that **** out of the way.

·
Registered
13,138 Posts
It is probably rubbing under load or if he hits a big bump so he might not see it if he just spins it with no weight in the car either.

·
Banned
136 Posts
This seems like a big deal to me, how much is it ground down? Looks like enough to be a stress riser, you dont want that!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I agree that this is most likely happening under load. Maybe over a speed bump or something like that... Did your new springs come with new bump stops? I'm thinking taller bump stops would reduce maximum rear end compression and help prevent this.

As far as DSS having owners having issues. I think it's just people taking notice after the 100 threads with people crying about a little drive line noise after putting there drive shaft. They eventually stopped the crying with what's essentially a rubber stopper inside the tube. I admit that there were a few other issues but for the most part that was the complaint

B

·
0 Posts
I get people wanting a cv joint, but I preferred the simplicity of a universal joint which is why I went with dynotech. Plus you can't beat 17.5lbs.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The ease of install if a plus as well I think. The DSS literally bolts in where as others I believe you pull the pull the old drive shaft and the pinion gear. I'm not %100 on the process since I have a DSS.
And if your lowered and don't have an adjustable UCA then you could have pinion angle issues with the U joint as well.

Anyways. I'm interested in finding the cause of our friends rubbing issues. Hopefully it's an easy fix

·
Banned
2,200 Posts
Lowering springs right? Maybe the ride height and spring rates are a little low and you're hitting some big speed bumps too fast?? Yeah, it shouldn't touch.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea im on sportlines and i have the shorter bumpstops from eibach. im usually pretty good about hitting bumps at correct speeds as i dont want to damage the front spoiler (gt/cs lower front). im going to try to listen for abnormal driveline noise from now on, might be able to get it up on a lift this weekend. might also be checking my pinion angle as i have a buddy who has the tool to do so. will keep the thread updated.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts