Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a ducktail spoiler for my stang, but I'm not sure what I should get. I like the looks of three so far, and really like the CDC one, but the problem is that I have holes from the factory spoiler, and I'd rather not get my trunk repainted. Not using that weird metal thing CDC has either.

But these are the three I'm considering. If you know of any others that look nice, PLEASE post them here, i'm trying to find alternatives. I don't like the 3dcarbon or SSE ones, by the way.

Theres the Legend spoiler, which is very reminiscent of the new Shelby ducktail. I'm half and half on it since it's so long.

There's the Xenon ducktail which looks acceptable, but isn't anything special.

And, of course, I could always save up my money for another year and go the CDC route.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
758 Posts
These are just my opinions...

Legend like you say looks alittle long too me also.

Xenon is the one I want looks great in person and shortens the long rear window.

CDC is the tackiest(sp?) spoiler of them all. It sticks on the back with 3m tape and only goes half way down the back at which point it just stops and doesnt form to the rear bottom half.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I was in your exact same shoes. I saved up, got the CDC ducktail and got my lid repiainted. I LOVE IT. Suggestion: go to the Ford Body Kit shop. Get to know someone and see if you can swap trunk lids for a stang w/o a spoiler on it.
raptorv22 said:
I'm looking at getting a ducktail spoiler for my stang, but I'm not sure what I should get. I like the looks of three so far, and really like the CDC one, but the problem is that I have holes from the factory spoiler, and I'd rather not get my trunk repainted. Not using that weird metal thing CDC has either.

But these are the three I'm considering. If you know of any others that look nice, PLEASE post them here, i'm trying to find alternatives. I don't like the 3dcarbon or SSE ones, by the way.

Theres the Legend spoiler, which is very reminiscent of the new Shelby ducktail. I'm half and half on it since it's so long.

There's the Xenon ducktail which looks acceptable, but isn't anything special.

And, of course, I could always save up my money for another year and go the CDC route.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm in the same situation also. I'll probably go 3dcarbon or Legend. Haven't decided yet. I'd like to just change out the decklid with one that doesn't have it, but it isn't so easy to find. A new one is about 350, but then they'll want more for the labor. And with all these options there are always paint match issues that could come up.

I had one salesman give me a line that it was actually illegal to do a swap with a new car on the lot, cause then it wouldn't match the window sticker. Sounds like bull to me, cause dealers do aftermarket crap all the time, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I went with the CDC b/c I liked the more retro look of hiding the factory third brake light. I ordered mine so I would not have to fill any holes. I also would not want to use the metal hole covers that CDC has to cover up the factory holes. FYI, the CDC does not just stick on. The CDC website states that you can use bolts and/or the tape. The main piece actually has 6 holes to attach it to the rear of the trunk. I called CDC and they suggested using at least 2 of the holes if using the 3M tape. The spoiler is strong and blends in very well. I have had many people, including owners of 05/06 mustangs who loved the way the spoiler adds to the lines of the car. If you do go with the CDC , get someone who knows what they are doing to cover up the holes. Since the spoiler actually attaches to the back of the trunk, the top wil be exposed and bad work will be easily noticed.

If you are going to have the car for a while, don't let an extra hundred dollars to fill some holes stop you. In a year you may want to switch and then it ends up costing you twice as much.

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
ducktail

I am interested in getting a ducktail as well. I like the look of the CDC, but I was hesitant when I saw that it was attached via 3M tape. However, I noticed on www.ponybuilder.com (owned/operated by CDC) they had another tail (with logo) that was not attached via 3M tape. After reading these posts, that the CDC spoiler can be bolted, I am really interested in it now. I am worried about the factory spoiler holes. I may just pony up the money for a new trunk lid.:eyebulge:

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had very poor fitment on my 3dcarbon ducktail. The body shop that painted it was going to install it, but when they went to install, after painting it, they wanted to wash their hands of the whole affair. They said that they couldnt guarantee that it wouldnt blow off at highway speeds. So they charged me nothing for the paint and i put it on myself. It was starting to pull away in the middle, when i traded the car on nov 4. :sosad:

Supposedly my original order was delayed 3 weeks because of fitment issues. Maybe these have been worked out? I want a spoiler exactly like the one on the GT500 concept car.:drool:

·
Registered
124 Posts
i've been very leery to put any part on that is fastened only with tape.in temperature extremes hot or cold i would be concerned about expansion and contraction of dissimilar materials.

·
Registered
816 Posts
stig1950 said:
i've been very leery to put any part on that is fastened only with tape.in temperature extremes hot or cold i would be concerned about expansion and contraction of dissimilar materials.
I really can't understand peoples fear of 3M tape. OEMs have been using it to put mouldings and emblems on cars for years with no problems. I live in Texas, where it gets over 100 degrees in the summer, and we just went through record lows now that its winter. My 3dCarbon Ducktail is still holding on as strong as the day I first installed it. Proper surface preparation of the part and the car is extremely important. If you take shortcuts, like not using the adhesion promoter, removing wax from the car as per the instructions, etc, the part will not stay on. Sorry for the rant. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic. :wavey

·
Registered
599 Posts
I wasnt trying to bash 3d carbon, they make the only ducktail that I wanted.(so far). I really think that i got one of those early examples, that should have been returned. If I was going to keep my sonic blue GT I would have rma'ed it to LMPerformance. I am sure they would have given me an exchange. I feel that both LMperformance and 3d carbon are reputable. I was really hoping that i was gonna get a free paint job:winks . I got good trade money, and passed the loose spoiler on to my dealer. :)

·
Registered
124 Posts
2k5GTC said:
I really can't understand peoples fear of 3M tape. OEMs have been using it to put mouldings and emblems on cars for years with no problems. I live in Texas, where it gets over 100 degrees in the summer, and we just went through record lows now that its winter. My 3dCarbon Ducktail is still holding on as strong as the day I first installed it. Proper surface preparation of the part and the car is extremely important. If you take shortcuts, like not using the adhesion promoter, removing wax from the car as per the instructions, etc, the part will not stay on. Sorry for the rant. Now back to your regularly scheduled topic. :wavey
I"ve had original 3m tape held mouldings come loose off of vehicles take a look at the cars in a parking lot that may have a molding missing , in the old days moldings had clips or retainers now manufacturers have gotten cheap and went for the tape. i hope your taped on parts stay on but for me i'll bolt my stuff on and make sure its not a projectile somewhere on th highway

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've got the Xenon 7 piece kit installed. The spoiler covers up the original holes and the pieces are all there to stay.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.