Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a GT500 spoiler from 3D Carbon about 5 months ago. It was great looking at first when I put it on. I washed and waxed it right away but now its fadded or dull looking. It doesnt shine as much as the actual trunk or the rest of the car for that matter. It doesnt have any scratches or swirls in it at all. Its bugging the hell out of me. How can I get the shine back without taking it off or repainting it?

Also washing and waxing it doesnt do anything to bring the shine back either.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If it's clear coated, try wet sanding with 1500 or higher and rub it out using a good wheel and rubbing compound.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping no one would suggest that lol. It scares the crap out of me to wet sand anything.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
If it's that bad it would probably take a decent circular or Dual Action Polisher with the right pads and compounds. I'd start with a medium to light cutting pad (foam or wool) with a very good polish (that's after I washed and clay'd it). Then a swirl remover and polish enhancer. Then a good sealant with a finishing pad.

It's small enough to do by hand and probably get good results, but I'm a firm believer in machines. However, to do this job, if I didn't have a machine, I'd take it to a good detailer and see how much he'd charge for just the spoiler. It might just be a slight hazing and could be pretty cheap. It never hurts to get a few opinions.

Got any pictures?

·
Registered
396 Posts
If it's that bad it would probably take a decent circular or Dual Action Polisher with the right pads and compounds. I'd start with a medium to light cutting pad (foam or wool) with a very good polish (that's after I washed and clay'd it). Then a swirl remover and polish enhancer. Then a good sealant with a finishing pad.

It's small enough to do by hand and probably get good results, but I'm a firm believer in machines. However, to do this job, if I didn't have a machine, I'd take it to a good detailer and see how much he'd charge for just the spoiler. It might just be a slight hazing and could be pretty cheap. It never hurts to get a few opinions.

Got any pictures?
I suggest watching Adamspolises.com videos and their products. I use that and Blackfire wet diamond paint sealant.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Got any pictures?
Nah, I tried to take pictures but it just didnt really show up in it. Ill look for a good detailer around here and see what they say. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
Have you contacted the seller about your issue? Maybe they'd be willing to send you a new one or make a suggestion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts