Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Momma always said there is no dumb question, so..............

Will using a clay bar on my vinyl stripes cause any damage to the stripes?:shrug

I have used it on my paint and it does a great job of removing the contaminents, but will it remove any of the color or vinyl from the stripes?

Comments are much appreciated!!!:yup:

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I have never had any problem with pinstriping on cars, etc. while using clay. BUT, with that said.... I would not purposely use it on your stripes. Why would anyone want to anyways??? If you need to try it on a place that is not so noticeable first, just in case.

... my .02, and yes I have clayed many many many cars

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that clay bars are used to remove metal shavings from rail dust, brake dust, industrial fallout, that sorta thing from painted surfaces. If this is correct then it would serve no purpose to use it on vinyl.

I'm assuming that maybe your wanting something to clean the vinyl stripes? I did a quick google search and a few people recommened using 303 aerospace cleaner for vinyl stripes. http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=aerospacecleaner

·
Registered
60 Posts
303 Rocks! I use it on everything!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wouldn't recomend using clay on the stripes just because clay can be rough on surfaces, so clay might peal the stripe off, espically if u rub the clay over the painted surfance and stripe at the same time. Also, this might be a no brainer for you, but I like to use a small peice of clay, like the size of a strawberry, and make sure I go over every little part of the car. It helps give my car a real detailed look.

·
Registered
181 Posts
303 aerospace cleaner? never heard of that stuff before

·
Registered
34 Posts
303 aerospace cleaner? never heard of that stuff before
I recommend www.google.com. I have a bottle but I haven't tried it yet but I've heard great things about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts